Crusader cook kit, fuel MOD

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
munchh

Post by munchh »

Hey,

ive had this a while now and have been carrying it around in my work van incase im stuck out somewhere (4 hours in the snow a few years back).
The only problem was always what fuel to use, i had made a very low profile meths burner for it, but wasnt sure my boss would be happy with me carrying around liquid fuel. It is meant for gel, so i eventually got myself some Chaffing Gel from the cash and carry, although you can use hexi tabs or even sticks if you have to. The chaffing gel cannot spill and is in a tin so far safer to transport and works out much cheaper than the stuff they say you should use.
I have used it a few times, it is very slow to boil and makes a real mess of the burner, so have been looking for something better.

After many Youtube vids and various reading, i came across this that seems to be a popular mod and very easy.

It is a shoe polish tin with fiberglass fire rope coiled inside.

Now i have tried it i would have used a rope that would have nearly filled the tin, i bought 10mm, the tin is about 15mm deep, so i would buy 12mm i recon, the rope is just there as a wick so you are not burning the meths directly i spose, but it works really well and although it is not the quickest, it is arout a 6 min boil (1/2 l) and its much better than the gel.

So i will be carrying this around from now on, being that it is a tin it means it is not a perminent thing and you can just take it out and use other fuels, it also packs in place with no problem.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Briggs 2.0

Re: Crusader cook kit, fuel MOD

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Very neat idea, I like that. I have a solo stove in my pack and I've been looking for a way to use gel when I can't find twigs, I'm going to try this out.

Cheers!
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
munchh

Post by munchh »

I didnt make it very clear, its for using with alcohol not the gel, you may have read that but just wanted to be sure. ;)
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

munchh wrote:I didnt make it very clear, its for using with alcohol not the gel, you may have read that but just wanted to be sure. ;)
Yeah, we're both on the right track! I meant to say I wanted to use gel in my solo stove but I was stuck on how to. Your idea will allow me to use alcohol/meths. I was wondering if kerosene would also work? It should do.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Good stuff munchh,

I have a couple of different cookers using shoe polish tins,

1: Loft insulation and a piece of mesh grill from an old sieve

2: Cardboard and candle wax

3: The above mentioned rope stove.

1 & 3 both work with alcohol, meths and paraffin/kero, I use a tuna tin for a pot stand as I don't have the crusader setup. Only recently (1 maybe 2 months ago) made my first rope stove having seen it in use on youtube.

http://blackthorn-bushcraft.blogspot.co ... ooker.html
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

Nice idea. Does anyone know how long the burn time on the wick would be?

Thanks

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Quercus-robur wrote:Nice idea. Does anyone know how long the burn time on the wick would be?

Thanks

Qr
If its what I think it is, there is no burn time because its not supposed to burn.

Munchh: You have petrol with you?
As it should also work as a Bengazi burner (spelling?) for petrol, Think of the brewing up scene in "Ice cold in Alex".... Might need a test run before you go live on that though
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

I understand it is the meths/alcohol burning but would have thought that the wick would still have a lifespan. Comforting though if it will last for a long period of time. Will have to test this out.

Cheers

Qr

'At Spes Infracta'

janso

Post by janso »

Quercus-robur wrote:Nice idea. Does anyone know how long the burn time on the wick would be?

Thanks

Qr
How long is a piece of string?!! Had to post it!!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right but nobody has a responsibility
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

janso wrote:

Thanks

Qr
How long is a piece of string?!! Had to post it!!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

'At Spes Infracta'