Which watch to get

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
12mp82

Which watch to get

Post by 12mp82 »

A lot of us have wrist watches, though with the advent of mobile phones I have known quite a few people who don't have one these days :roll:

So which is the watch you would be best having?

I have a few :oops:

A Seiko Kinetic watch with metal strap (Evenings and Weekends)

A G10 Ex-military electronic watch (it has a battery rather than a winder) (Everyday work watch)

A Wind-up Fob watch dating back to my Great Uncle who was presented it back in 1919 for his service in the Great War. (Special display watch)

Of the three the Fob watch is going to be most reliable for an uncertain future, but the catch I have found is that I really want a watch that has day and date and no battery, none of the above have them.

So what do you have?
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

KalPrep

Which watch to get

Post by KalPrep »

I used to wear a quite expensive dress watch for work, it went nice with the suits :). I ditched it though and typically relied upon my phone for time etc.

Recently though I have been back considering something more practical to have on me which would allow me to be independent of electronics and also have some other useful things on.

I am definitely keen on a kinetic watch but haven't done a lot of reading into it. I would be interested in other people's views. One thing definitely for me is accuracy, I am a real stickler on this and couldn't cope with any timepiece which didn't hold good time.
12mp82

Re: Which watch to get

Post by 12mp82 »

I paid a fair bit for my kinetic watch, but they do contain a battery of sorts and the batteries do fail :(

Mine is still going after about 8 years though, and you do need to wear it and preferably on the arm that does the most work as it is movement that generates the power to charge the battery.

I wore mine on my left wrist and it didn't charge properly.

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

12mp82 wrote:
Dare I ask what you use your right arm for ;)
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

tanstaafl wrote:
12mp82 wrote:
Dare I ask what you use your right arm for ;)
Sawing ;) Not coffee bean shaking :shock: :lol: :lol:

Replacement capacitor (battery thingy)

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/19072150 ... pla&crdt=0

preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

My OH has this one

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-citizen-e ... 45670.html

I have a battery operated watch which currently has a dead battery! I have to find someplace to replace it. Where I used to go has closed down.

I too would like an Eco-drive watch and have asked 2 Christmases in a row but no luck yet :(
KalPrep

Which watch to get

Post by KalPrep »

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Hi, Ialso have a seiko kinetic,I bought it in 1992 and in the last few years had to send it off to seiko for a new battery and capacitor (basicaly a total upgrade)now i can leave it off my wrist for nearly a month before it dies (not that i do) but am looking for somthing totaly mech and auto so will have to be a top end watch costing upward of £1000 and also it must be waterproof (i know what i want i just have to save up my pennies) :D
'Luck is my middle name,' said Rincewind, indistinctly. 'Mind you, my first name is Bad.' Area 4
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
redskies

Post by redskies »

I have my Grandmothers wind up watch, which needs a service. I don't wear it though. I haven't worn a watch in years. I go to sleep when I'm tired and wake up when I'm not. I eat when I'm hungry and can, usually, tell roughly what time it is when I look at where the sun is. I love that I make my own hours, work to my own schedule and only have to be somewhere at a particular time if I have an appointment.

If TSHTF, why would we need watches?
Attachments
Time doesn't exist ....jpg
Time doesn't exist ....jpg (68.63 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
KalPrep

Which watch to get

Post by KalPrep »

It's a good question red. On your own or small groups you can pretty much just guess it but having order in a larger group or where you need to co-ordinate things having time pieces might just make life easier. You can also navigate very well with them if you know how.