my bug out location

Homes and Retreats
Huntsman

my bug out location

Post by Huntsman »

so i finally had a chance to go up to my bug out location, its about 0.3 miles from my front door in some very quite band very unused woods. now i have been exploring these woods for around 10 years now and know them like the back of my hand. i have also placed numerous caches of books, survival tools, fire starters etc. in various places throughout the woods. but without anymore intro here it is:

the small lane past my house and into the woods

the trail through the woods

following the 1/2 a mile long game trail off path up very steep ridge

deep woods at top of steep ridge

and because i know where it is my bug out location, plenty of trees for are hammocks and a lot of pre-planted edible plants, we secretly planted black berry bushes, wild garlic as well as various others. every time we go there (every 2-3 weeks) we sprinkle bird seed and nuts starting to get a lot of squirrels and birds around there now. we have also buried some watertight 5 gallon barrels of barbed wire and such!
Huntsman

Re: my bug out location

Post by Huntsman »

not sure if pictures are working but can post links to flickr if needed

heres the photo set on my OH's flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/harrietcro ... 010975096/

:)
Chef

Post by Chef »

Looks like a nice quiet spot Huntsman, good idea planting things in the woods yourself, I like it :)

I thought you actually had a shelter or bit of a bunker type thing built, but yeah hammocks and tarps are cool, better than kipping on the ground, high up so well drained I assume. Do you get many walkers n such up there?
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

Chef wrote:Looks like a nice quiet spot Huntsman, good idea planting things in the woods yourself, I like it :)

I thought you actually had a shelter or bit of a bunker type thing built, but yeah hammocks and tarps are cool, better than kipping on the ground, high up so well drained I assume. Do you get many walkers n such up there?
In the 5 years going up there having lived up there in total about 3 weeks not a soul
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

Chef wrote:Looks like a nice quiet spot Huntsman, good idea planting things in the woods yourself, I like it :)

A cabins something I have always wanted to build up there I have the supplies in my shed! Maybe post-shtf :)
Chef

Post by Chef »

Cool :) Any problems with low light for growing veg and such there?

Couple of places I could possibly get away with that round here but there are just too many people unless I go out of town and I have no car so not really feasible. :( I do have a few underground hideyholes up my sleeve, one of which only one other person knows about and no one would ever in a million years think there could be a tunnel system there lol, but tunnels have many problems sadly, great for shelter and warmth, (same in winter or summer) but lighting has to be constant, damp can be a problem in some and they're completely devoid of anything edible.

That's why I have the other contingency plans like the boat, maybe the sea forts and an abandoned building or half a dozen. ;)

I have a reasonable inheritance coming in the near future (soon as I can sell the bloody thing) so am seriously considering buying a tract of woodland and building a bunker type construction with a little 'garden shed' on top just to conceal the entrance.
lemondrop01

Post by lemondrop01 »

sweet location like the plan you have in motion.....i have the same sort of plan for my self ,living in the middle of a vast woodland area to,just moved house so still living out of boxes at the mo but will be having a wander around this week to check out a few potential locations
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

checking out a bug out location is good, but come the 1st cold winter( remember winter starts earlier the more North you are) someone would need bricks and mortar of some kind (some abandoned building, a house, a barn , a utility building) somewhere one could get warm, dry out wet clothing and shelter from the winter storms. playing Rambo in the woods just isnt going to work.
moocher

Post by moocher »

sweet,but me personnally i wouldnt put pics up in case anyone recognised it.
just my tuppence worth.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

moocher wrote:sweet,but me personnally i wouldnt put pics up in case anyone recognised it.
just my tuppence worth.
I honestly don't think there's much chance of anyone finding it. Those photos could be any one of a million places anywhere in the UK, no?