Seed Shortages

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
TwoDo

Seed Shortages

Post by TwoDo »

A post in another thread got me to thinking about possible scenarios if the downward economic trend continues. If, one day, if we end up with an economy in a death spiral like Greece what will be the likely reactions of the public. A large number will just get apathetic and violent, true - but there are still many who, when hit over the head with reality, will attempt to react in a positive way.

Extending that thought then, one day, the people may well decide en-mass they need to have a veggie garden. The concept will sweep over the land and quickly become the latest fad - only stronger because it is driven by necessity. Flower gardens everywhere will be ripped up and converted to veggies. Many other people will be appallingly unprepared and will immediately begin to purchase gardening supplies. Demand will be huge once this happens and everything needed to get a food garden in will likely be sold out in days. Shortages of tools can be coped with, but seeds cannot be produced in a hurry. IMHO, there is no way that the existing seed supply will be able to support such a massive increase in demand.

So, even if you have been working on your gardening skills and got your veggie beds prepared years in advance. It is entirely possible that one spring, not long from now, you will not be able to buy seeds. As I see it....

1) Never, ever throw out the remnants of the seed packets of years gone by. There are always some that will germinate three years on.
2) Buy at least some seeds in the autumn and keep them over the winter.
3) Learn to seed save (its not so easy as it seems) and keep your own from year to year.

Just thought I would throw this out there. Anybody else think this is a likely scenario? If so, it would interesting to hear about other coping strategies?
jansman

Re: Seed Shortages

Post by jansman »

Its not so unbelievable as ideas go. Any sudden rush on a product causes shortages. I am in the position now,that I ONLY use saved seed. So in that sense my supply is a closed loop. I NEVER sow it all in case there is a poor crop.
There are good books and plenty of internet info on saving seed. I think if there are any Golden Rules on the subject,they would be;

1. Store them only in paper
2. Store that package in a cool dark place.

Hope thats a help.

P.S. Back Garden Seed Saving by Sue Stickland-good book.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

i have been stocking up on heirloom seeds for quite some time, have a nice collection. just need to stock up on grains, corn/wheat etc. i've just bought myself the same book as jansman from http://www.realseeds.co.uk/ just waiting for it to turn up along with a few more seeds. had to buy some of the giant bulgarian leeks just to see how big i can grow one. :mrgreen: will be having a good read as soon as it turns up. have bought alot of seeds from the u.s (mainly from amish seed companies) canada and australia and a few here in the uk .
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

after waking from much needed sleep this afternoon ( i work nights) the postman had been and my back garden seed saving book has arrived from http://www.realseeds.co.uk/ i have started reading it and it is a very interesting read sofar. the only thing is i ordered two copies by mistake!, so in the spirit of paying it forward i have a spare copy available if anyone wants it for FREE. :D just pm me if you want it. :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

How generous, spread the love! :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

after reading the book pay it forward by catherine ryan hyde, i have tried to pay it forward as often as i can. it's one of the few books that has altered my life in a positive way. worth reading if you havn't. the film doesn't do the book justice. can't be bothered to send the seed saving book back to get a refund it's not worth the hassle. would rather let someone else benefit from my mistake.
Delightful

Post by Delightful »

That's a worryingly likely scenario. Right now I'm looking for veg that I can plant "wild" (ie. in woods, around my building etc) but will start buying seeds that can withstand things like wet summers and late frosts so something will always grow.
I hadn't even considered grain seeds as I don't have anywhere to plant them, but I might in a few years and it could be worth holding on to. Does anyone know a good place to buy grains (especially oats and hull-less oats) for planting?
jansman

Post by jansman »

The thing with seeds is this; they are not a "storable" commodity as such. A seed WANTS to grow,and if it is allowed to do so, it will produce MORE seed. Simple.

Those here who are " stocking up" on seed - do you know how to garden and grow those seeds?All the seed in the world will not help when the shelves are bare and you are going to plant those seeds you bought and stored 5 years ago. They probably would not germinate anyway.

Start gardening and build a collection of plants that work in YOUR conditions and soil, and once it is part of your normal life it is one thing less to stress about.

Robert Frost.

Me.