Sainsburys £3 Challenge

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Ginger Ranger

Sainsburys £3 Challenge

Post by Ginger Ranger »

Hi All,

Challenged myself with a £3 budget to start my food storing prep in Sainsburys. I think i came in just under budget by 2p lol. Anyway the grub is as follows: Basics chicken curry x2, basics baked beans x2, basics potatoes x2, basics chicken pot noodles x2 and 1kg white rice. (all BBD are over 1 year and up to 3 years)

Thinking of doing this every maybe 3 weeks to slowly build up some supplies. I know i need water too and that will be on the cards asap.

Whats your opinions on this, and how do you do it yourself? Advice needed as im still new to this :shock: .

Thanks all.
£3 Prep shop
£3 Prep shop
photo (1).JPG (44.99 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
Paranoid=No
Prepared=YES
preppingsu

Re: Sainsburys £3 Challenge

Post by preppingsu »

Firstly, would you eat it all?

We have similar threads here...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9688

And here...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8644&hilit=5+pound+preps

Tap water is free and can be stored in old pop bottles, squash bottles etc. Just wash them out with bleach and the empty, clean and refill every 6 months (or so).
Ginger Ranger

Post by Ginger Ranger »

Yeah only went for the food that me and my partner would eat, Is that a safe way to store water? I know you can pick up 2lt for about 17p at most supermarkets now??

Thanks for the info :)
Paranoid=No
Prepared=YES
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Ginger Ranger wrote:, Is that a safe way to store water? I know you can pick up 2lt for about 17p at most supermarkets now??

Thanks for the info :)
Perfectly safe. Keep at a cool temp, in a dark place then boil before drinking. All my water is stored that way.

Have a look at our water thread....

viewforum.php?f=43
Ginger Ranger

Post by Ginger Ranger »

Thanks will do :)
Paranoid=No
Prepared=YES
DundeePrepper

Post by DundeePrepper »

Great Start.. I would focus less on Rice etc for the moment.. Build up a good stock of tinned foods that you would eat anyway. How long are you looking to live off of your preps if SHTF?
1-4 Weeks Just stick to tins and water.
1-3 Months Start looking at bulk storage for rice/flour/grains etc
+3 Months You need a good storage system/space and think about how you'll supplement your supplies.
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

I would also add, think about sprouting lentils as sprouts can be a very good vegetable that you can grow at home all year round and have FRESH. I believe sprouting to be a useful life skill to keep practicing.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

I think you got a lot for £3 :). I spent that the other day on just one 2kg bag of white basmati rice (I bought two), having swithered whether to go for the 40p bags. I am probably the fool because, and moving onto my next point, it's the only think I've prepped so far that we don't eat. We eat brown rice, but it will only last 6 months maximum, even if put into Mylar bags with oxygen removers (it's the fat content that will go rancid). White rice has had all that removed (and pretty much all the vitamins :() and will last anything from 10 -30 years, which is why I WILL be buying a lot of white rice without having any intention of ever eating it. I will also be buying vitamins :). I freeze my dried products for at least a couple of days (a week or a few months won't do it any harm if you forget it's in there) to kill off any wee bugs or their eggs which can later hatch out, multiply and are just generally disgusting. These bugs, once in your store cupboard, can pretty much take over everything, including cereals and sugar. I prefer to keep them out in the first place and do regular checks because getting rid of them is a huge job, necessitating clearing out everything, throwing a whole lot out and cleaning until you've worn your fingers down to the stumps. I have bought used food grade 20l (5 gallon) plastic buckets with tight lids (dark ones to keep the light out even more) (you might be able to find a free source of these - bakers, etc - but I haven't as yet) and gallon size Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers (mine are the thicker ones, but you want to look for a thickness of at least 4 - there are some flimsy ones out there). Prepare your rice, bag it up securely with an oxygen absorber inside and, having checked the seal on the bags is really secure and no air is getting in, put the lid on the bucket, mark it up and put it away in a cool to room temperature dark place and forget about it. Keep a log of everything you are storing, with Use By dates and where it is stored (you will forget). I think you're doing the right thing by buying food you eat. Just remember to eat the oldest stuff first (your log will be invaluable for that) and you'll be fine. How to properly store dried food has been the thing I've found hardest, as it is fraught with problems (vermin, etc), which is why I'm taking my time to do it properly. I'm only just a little bit further down the prepper's road, but hope you can catch up without the endless amount of research which food storage seems to entail :). Good luck with all your preps. Even if it just means you're not starving on a Bank Holiday Monday because you forgot to shop and the shops are all closed or you've come down with 'flu and can barely stand never mind make it to the supermarket, your preps will have all been worthwhile. :)
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

DundeePrepper wrote:Great Start.. I would focus less on Rice etc for the moment.. Build up a good stock of tinned foods that you would eat anyway. How long are you looking to live off of your preps if SHTF?
1-4 Weeks Just stick to tins and water.
1-3 Months Start looking at bulk storage for rice/flour/grains etc
+3 Months You need a good storage system/space and think about how you'll supplement your supplies.
That's exactly what I've done and it's amazing how quickly your store builds up. I couldn't resist adding stuff like a fire starter, Mylar sleeping/shelter bags, lots of matches, candles, but the first wee while was mainly tins, water (bottled, WaterBob, purifying/sterilising tablets, water butts, etc). I added jars/Mylar refill bags of coffee, chocolate, biscuits etc and pasta. I'm now beginning bulk storage of rice, lentils, etc, but will only buy flour when I have something I can cook some type of bread/cakes in without my normal electric oven. I think the chicken came before the egg :). Some things were free and I'd encourage people to get stuff from Freecycle (I got a food sealer - tested, but otherwise brand new) or upcycled (the fluff from your tumble dryer wrapped in used tumble dryer sheets and tied in little bundles make kindling (? - the stuff that catches the spark from your firestarter). You could probably use the contents of your hoover bag for that too, but that's a step too far for me right now :). I'm looking at everything in a whole new light. I'm resisting getting into the trap at looking at everythin on a small scale though and keep asking myself the question, "If something serious happens, is this really going to help?" It's keeping me pretty much on track. A huge hole in my preps is meat - something tasty to add to the rice/pasta and tinned veggies to make a proper meal that will satisfy everyone, so I will be doing something I've never done before with the exception of buying tinned salmon which two of us love and buying tinned meat as suggested by someone else on here (whose name I forget - sorry!) - things like meat pie filling, stew, chilli, chicken in sauce. We are very fussy meat eaters, so this will be hard. I'll have to buy a can of each product and taste test. I don't want to find out, much later, that these things are disgusting. I'll buy a batch of each if they're OK. I don't think I'd have gotten as far as I have without all the info on this site, so I am very contented with everything so far, but I still have a lot to do. Enough blethering - I'm off to hoe the veg patch and sow some more seeds :)!
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

The idea of dedicating a small amount of cash each weekand gradually adding to your stores over time is great but I'd advise caution against sticking to just one store. Lidl do weekend deals and you can often get 4 packs of Branston Baked Beans for £1 is just one example of the deals you can get shopping around, B&M and Homebargains often have tinned goods good prices as well as the offers to be found in the ever popular £1 shop.

40p bags of rice are ok but you need to shop around, we prefer the ASDA over the Lidl (Lidl rice is sticky even after washing) I don't think we've tried to Sainsbury's.

Tinned Tomatoes or Pasata are cheap (32-34p a tin/carton) and make a great base for soups, stews and sauces although we find Pasata a little sweet for our tastes.

It might be an idea to think ingredients instead of ready meals as we don't eat a lot of processed foods thats how we prefer to go about it, it makes eating the few processed foods we do easier.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.