5 POUND PREPS

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
scruffypaul

Re: 5 POUND PREPS

Post by scruffypaul »

I buy the 40p/kg value rice and it tastes fine. Just normal white rice. Cooks a little bit stickier than the next brand up long grain rice, but no problems with it taste-wise. Not sure about it lasting a month at a meal a day, though: A kilogram bag usually does me about 12-16 servings when I'm having it as an accompaniment with curry/stew/etc, and 1kg rice is roughly 3800 calories in total. Eating it over a month at a meal a day will give you about the same amount of calories per serving as a slice of buttered toast!
Mustachio

Post by Mustachio »

Mustachio wrote:Tinned potatoes .... never even considered it before. So simple it's stupid!

I'll be getting a bunch to store next time I go shopping.
Picked up 12 cans of potatoes for £1.60 .... can't believe I never noticed these before. Cheaper than anything else I've picked up before, have a 3 year shelf life, can eat 'em cold if need be and full of carbohydrates!

Plus when they're coming to the end of their shelf life they're potatoes ... everyone use potatoes!

Thanks for the tip!
Mustachio

Post by Mustachio »

sherrifsam wrote:Ok here's what I've bought this week,

RICE 2 kg 80P
TINNED MADARINS IN JUICE X 4 92P
TINNED KIDNEY BEANS X 5 £1.05
STILL WATER 1O LTR £1.70
SALT 1 KG 25P
TINNED CHICKEN SOUP X 1 22P

TOTAL £4.94

I'm really enjoying this its making me think more carefully about what I buy.
It's crazy how much you can buy for such a little amount of money that could potentially save your life one day!!
Juvecu

Post by Juvecu »

It'd be a good idea to open some of the stuff you buy and eat it so you can see what it tastes like. There's few things worse than being in the S and having to eat your food stores only to realise that most of it is ghastly, it's not good for morale. Buy what you eat, eat what you buy (as has been said before on many a prepper forum and it's so true.)

Loving this thread, btw, keep them coming :)
sherrifsam

Post by sherrifsam »

Juvecu wrote:It'd be a good idea to open some of the stuff you buy and eat it so you can see what it tastes like. There's few things worse than being in the S and having to eat your food stores only to realise that most of it is ghastly, it's not good for morale. Buy what you eat, eat what you buy (as has been said before on many a prepper forum and it's so true.)

Thats sound advice,
the only thing in my preps I cant eat is spam, no matter what I do to it or have it with it repulses me, glad I found that out before I got serious about prepping, saying that there's still a few tins floating around in my cupboard.
G.B

Post by G.B »

sherrifsam wrote:
Juvecu wrote:It'd be a good idea to open some of the stuff you buy and eat it so you can see what it tastes like. There's few things worse than being in the S and having to eat your food stores only to realise that most of it is ghastly, it's not good for morale. Buy what you eat, eat what you buy (as has been said before on many a prepper forum and it's so true.)

Thats sound advice,
the only thing in my preps I cant eat is spam, no matter what I do to it or have it with it repulses me, glad I found that out before I got serious about prepping, saying that there's still a few tins floating around in my cupboard.
My kids don't like any tinned spam/ham type meat and I am veggie but it is a good prep food. So when I seen it on offer I bought some and started to sneak it into food for them. Best way I have done it so far is chopped into tiny cubes rubbed into smoked paprika and dry fried until almost crispy then add it to stew, chilli and bolognese. They love it and don't even know what it is. As for me if I was hungry I would eat almost anything edible.

And tinned potatoes are great in cuppa soup for added texture.
bettersafethansorry

Post by bettersafethansorry »

G.B wrote:
Thats sound advice,
My kids don't like any tinned spam/ham type meat and I am veggie but it is a good prep food. So when I seen it on offer I bought some and started to sneak it into food for them. Best way I have done it so far is chopped into tiny cubes rubbed into smoked paprika and dry fried until almost crispy then add it to stew, chilli and bolognese. They love it and don't even know what it is. As for me if I was hungry I would eat almost anything edible.

And tinned potatoes are great in cuppa soup for added texture.[/quote]

have you tried mashing in to a pulp then using this with some sauce to make your own ravioli..... fun and tasty :d
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
colacup

Post by colacup »

RICE 2 kg 80P
TINNED MADARINS IN JUICE X 4 92P
TINNED KIDNEY BEANS X 5 £1.05
STILL WATER 1O LTR £1.70
SALT 1 KG 25P
TINNED CHICKEN SOUP X 1 22
hi could you please tell me in which shop did you get the above from please
sherrifsam

Post by sherrifsam »

Hi colacup,
it was Tescos, their value range.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

12 tins of potatoes an 2kg mung beans or lentils will last you a fair while and thats under a £5.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks