5 POUND PREPS

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jasper1

Re: 5 POUND PREPS

Post by jasper1 »

I bought one of these today in asda

http://direct.asda.com/Foldable-Snow-Sh ... ethod=p13n

and when I got to the till, it went through at £2.50!!!

Result
Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

As stated earlier, we thought this was a great idea and for the first time in 10 years I went grocery shopping. As usual I went over the top and visited tesco , asda, and lidl. Total spend £60ish but god did we get a lot of food. It will take us a few months to try it all and decide what we are going to store and calculate how much to buy initially.
We are trying to use the store what you eat and eat what you store method so we might have to raise the buget abit as I need some luxury items to keep the kids and OH happy.
sherrifsam

Post by sherrifsam »

Ok tonight was shopping night so here is what I bought this week,

2 kg sugar £1.74
Morrison's savers pasta x 2 58p
Morrison's savers tuna x 2 £1.64
Morrison's savers tinned pineapple x 2 50p
Morrison's savers tinned tomatoes x2 62p

Total £5.08

Its good to see others having a bash at this, its amazing what you can get for a fiver when you really think about it.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Steveo: Two bits of advice I see posted quite often when this comes up on other websites.

Keep a supply diary, write down everything that your household uses over a week, or better yet,a month (if you use a whole jar of jam and open a second one that counts as 2)..... Preppare to be scared by your TP consumption :lol:

Don't do a second 'Prep shop', buy an extra can/bottle/jar/package of the stuff you're already buying. But, be ready to discard your choosen extra item if a good deal for something else (that you prep) comes along (frugal preps are one of the best preps.... And if a non-prepper asks why you're buying whole flats of beans a great reply is "At that price, why aren't you?" )

The third thing that Early Preppers get told you're already planning on. Eat what you store and store what you eat.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

£4 on 20x MRE foil packed long grain rice 160 gram each yes i know i could get kilos of rice for that BUT its pre cooked so takes the minimum amount of fuel / cooking to make edible :tinfoil

(small local independent shop)

and £1 on one shot Galaxy hot chocolate drink got 10x servings
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Steveo: Two bits of advice I see posted quite often when this comes up on other websites.

Keep a supply diary, write down everything that your household uses over a week, or better yet,a month (if you use a whole jar of jam and open a second one that counts as 2)..... Preppare to be scared by your TP consumption :lol:

Don't do a second 'Prep shop', buy an extra can/bottle/jar/package of the stuff you're already buying. But, be ready to discard your choosen extra item if a good deal for something else (that you prep) comes along (frugal preps are one of the best preps.... And if a non-prepper asks why you're buying whole flats of beans a great reply is "At that price, why aren't you?" )

The third thing that Early Preppers get told you're already planning on. Eat what you store and store what you eat.
We are trying that but we as a family are food snobs/foodies. We are not prepping for the end of the world as we know it but more short term issues. We don't buy the buget/value ranges unless they taste good. So at the minute we are just trying new cheaper brands and food types out. It's been quite interesting up to now something's taste good overs taste horrid all of the good list will be added to our weekly shopping and stored.

Verdict upto now
All asda smart price not started the tesco stuff yet
Good- weetbrix, multigrain hoops, rice pud, hotdog sausages, super noodles, rice & paster, biscuits
Bad- curry (all of them) cornflakes, fruit in syrup, tinned peas & new potatos
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Did you watch "Tweve Saves of Christmas" ?
They did a comparison between different price levels of food and drink
Surprising just how few people could tell the difference let alone how many of those liked the expensive version the best.

I don't think many of us are prepping for TEOTWAWKI or the Zompocalyse, just the brickbats that life throws at us from time to time..... Of course, being ready for one helps with being ready for the other ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
lee3

Post by lee3 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:£4 on 20x MRE foil packed long grain rice 160 gram each yes i know i could get kilos of rice for that BUT its pre cooked so takes the minimum amount of fuel / cooking to make edible :tinfoil

(small local independent shop)

and £1 on one shot Galaxy hot chocolate drink got 10x servings
Hi that's an amazing price! Where did you find that bargain? Please share! Lol I have large rice packs at home and in caches but these are ideal for BOBs
Thanks
Lee
I'm in area 1
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Sorry lee its a local one man band shop no website or anything who buys bankrupt stock I cleaned him out of mre lamb stew about a month ago half the time he doesn't know what he is selling .... He knows I go camping ( perfect cover for this sort of stuff in a small town ) ;) also. Acquired 5 zipo lighters from him for £5 :-D
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Wow! Great bargain hunting everyone! Some of my faves are Morrison's spaghetti 26p, most stuff in reduced aisle, fish fingers 60 ish p, Nescafé coffee in damaged boxes from market 2 for £1, 5 boxes of cakes for £2, er my whole pantry is out of the market, foraged from a field or the reduced aisle or laid by the hens. Free lunch and coffee from work.