Who stores water?

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
jansman

Re: Who stores water?

Post by jansman »

luxor wrote:
You can buy cheap collapseable ones (so your neighbours don't know you've been buying water butts... you can just stick a few in the loft)
water is very heavy, be careful how many you store up there
That is a VERY good point.Water is heavy.

Also,water butts are a gardeners tool.Does not mean you are a prepper.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Technik

Post by Technik »

I currently have only about 30l of mineral water stored but will have lots LOTS more when I move house.
2 quick questions - where can I get these 25l water containers? I've heard that the car washes give these away for free. Is that right? Q2: what do you guys put in the water for long term storage?
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

The only thing i need for water is electricity. I can get water from a stream or river (even if that's a forty minute walk) and then distill that in my electric distiller.

If the worst comes top the worst, I am sure I can run a dehumidifier all day, collect 10 liters of water, run that through the distiller twice and maybe that will be drinkable. A cheaper form of air2water system? Haven't tried it yet. When i do i want to get a water company to test the water for drink-ability.

I want to get a water distiller then is powered by gas stoves or campfires next in case of no electricity.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
jansman

Post by jansman »

Technik wrote:I currently have only about 30l of mineral water stored but will have lots LOTS more when I move house.
2 quick questions - where can I get these 25l water containers? I've heard that the car washes give these away for free. Is that right? Q2: what do you guys put in the water for long term storage?
That's exactly what they are.Holding a substance called truckwash.Thorough wash,good to go.Store the water out of direct sunlight it'll be good.No need to add anything,just rotate regularly.When you do empty it ,add capful of thin bleach(Tesco value)and leave for ten mins,then empty and refill.No need to rinse the bleach.That just keeps any green gunge from forming!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
luxor

Post by luxor »

when storing water you really need something that wont leach chemicals into the water from the plastic,
(food grade) i use these.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/ ... 75753.html

but in a crisis, any container that hold water is better than having nothing
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

I have a stack of bottled water in an outbuilding, but that is because we often get our water cut off here.
However, last summer when we had a water outage of a fortnight, I took containers to the nearest burn, brought back water that way. Even if you can find other liquids to drink, being able to flush the loo makes such a big difference to morale! ;)
For drinking, I boiled it and added tablets to it. Tasted ruddy awful but did the job. :D
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

if storing water in plastic containers, whether thats 25 litre or 5litre or 2 litre ones, you need to refill it about every 4-6 months, its like anything else-rotate it!!
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Red Doe wrote:I have a stack of bottled water in an outbuilding, but that is because we often get our water cut off here.
However, last summer when we had a water outage of a fortnight, I took containers to the nearest burn, brought back water that way. Even if you can find other liquids to drink, being able to flush the loo makes such a big difference to morale! ;)
For drinking, I boiled it and added tablets to it. Tasted ruddy awful but did the job. :D
Hi Red Doe.
Good to have you posting again. Hope you are well?
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Hi RD - Havent you got a horrendous winter storm coming for the end of Oct with snow? :evil: Here we go again eh..
FlyingHaggis

Post by FlyingHaggis »

I have water stored in the cupboard , under the sink and a few other places round the house , I am not too far a walk from a river and a canal so if things get tight then I will go to there , we also get rain here in scotland :lol: so out with the pots and pans every time it pours ( so that will be every 15 mins then :P )

I have a question though I have heard you can use household bleach in purifying water now being household bleach I want to get the correct amount to use so that i have some stomach left to drink the water so does anyone know or can advise me how many drops of bleach you put into a 2 ltr bottle ??