What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
mallie99

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by mallie99 »

2ndRateMind wrote:Done a spreadsheet. (you can tell I'm serious!) Have arrived at 39 food items I intend to stock, set target stock levels, counted current holdings, worked out what I need to buy to hit target, and how much it will cost. Previously, I've just been going with whatever seems cheap, and desirable. I have to say, a little organisation has seen me reassess my shopping priorities quite considerably. I commend this (not very exciting) exercise to anyone with a limited budget and/or limited storage space.

Cheers, 2RM.
That sounds like the kind of thing my SOH would love!
Entirely certain that nothing is certain

Winklebury

Post by Winklebury »

Postby 2ndRateMind » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Done a spreadsheet. (you can tell I'm serious!) Have arrived at 39 food items I intend to stock, set target stock levels, counted current holdings, worked out what I need to buy to hit target, and how much it will cost. Previously, I've just been going with whatever seems cheap, and desirable. I have to say, a little organisation has seen me reassess my shopping priorities quite considerably. I commend this (not very exciting) exercise to anyone with a limited budget and/or limited storage space.

Cheers, 2RM.

Omnes qui errant non pereunt
Not all who wander are lost
Could you share your spread sheet, or selected, non-personal sections?

It would be great to share this, I have a pretty long list of things, but haven't formalised it (well I have, but have several, un-finished iterations...)
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Roger wilco. I'll put it in the lists section. But, it may take me a little time to render it suitable for publication, and, it is to be provided on the understanding that this is a work-in-progress, and will benefit by constructive criticism. Watch this space, I'll link it when it's ready.

Here it is.

Cheers, and thanks for your interest, 2RM.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Although I have had to dip into my stores for a brief period there is still loads in stock, and today I have done another big tesco order and that will be more than enough to keep me fed on the basis that I have issues with pay again. Will be receiving that tomorrow and will then be nice and set with enough just in case stuff just in case stuff happens.

I tend to buy all my tins and dry goods from tesco in bulk, but I get my regular fresh stuff locally and try and have a good diet of fresh stuff and only dip into my tins and dried stuff when I need to.

It is quite a good balance and it means that I am still looking after myself.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
munchh

Post by munchh »

My brother was off to ikea so had him grab some tea lights, 100 for £1.79! Cant beat that :)
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

munchh wrote:My brother was off to ikea so had him grab some tea lights, 100 for £1.79! Cant beat that :)

Good buy. Any cheaper and they would be paying you to take them away!

Cheers, 2RM.
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

I now have a cupboard for my preps :) The missus agreed to let me use the old boiler cupboard in our kitchen if i sorted it out.. its now shelved and has our excess supply of beans and water in it.
Selfsufficient Chick

Post by Selfsufficient Chick »

Starting getting serious with bagging out seasonings that I use on a daily basis -

I think its very easy to forget this in the scheme of things when bagging out the larger stuff like flour, beans, rice etc, while some stuff is fine without any some will taste pretty awful if no additional seasoning so working on that.
Selfsufficient Chick

Post by Selfsufficient Chick »

yorkshire lad wrote:Today my foodsaver arrived :D so I've been sorting through my food prepps and vac-packing rice, pasta, noodles, oats, jerky and flour, ordering some mylar bags tomorrow, this weekend I'll be checking on my stash's and doing a stealth camp to practice my concealment skills,
Does anyone have any tips or tricks, or know a good supplier for the rolls, mylar bags ect.
Check out my post in the Food, Nutritiond Agriculture section - POST NAMED "GOOD MYLAR BAG SELLERS IN THE UK"

I listed 4 main companies 2 of which sell mylar bags and food saver vacuum rolls - my personal favourite are the 8inch x 50ft rolls that come from seller No 1. - These rolls go on forever and I have managed to get about 300 bags from one roll of various sizes. So have a look at my post and take a look at the sellers
jansman

Post by jansman »

Today I am just starting to sow a few bits and pieces in the propagator. Onions are through, as are the chillies and the first lot of leeks.
Just got back from a walk with the dog. I came back with half a dozen hazel bean sticks. Six at a time and I have enough for my needs. Few quid saved. Also picked up a pile of good clean baler twine. Useful stuff round the yard and garden. Whilst out, I nailed a woodpigeon with me trusty catapult. As soon as I have finished my tea, that is going in the freezer. Had a tonne of coal delivered at 7 am, so now we are set 'til Xmas I reckon.
Later I will set some more homebrew going. Most important, as that, in my opinion, is the very cornerstone of my move towards a more self reliant life! :lol:
Ta ta for now.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.