What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
moocher

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by moocher »

I bought another 2 burner and grill camping cooker ,a heater that runs on canisters , collapsable water carrier,blow up kiddy bed,pair of windbreaks and a kettle all camping stuff but all handy for prepping
Also a candle lantern with 2 packs of 8hr candles.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Going back to basics. My water supply consists of 12l of bottled water to date, so I've just ordered a WaterBob from America. It was only £18.13, including tax (or at least I hope I won't be hit with anything further just to bring it over here - I once had to pay £40 extra for a few rolls of wallpaper I could only get from the US :( and we had to pay something for the pink Nintendo which had sold out in the UK :(). It looks like just the thing if you know that you just have time to fill a bath full before the water dries up (see The Road). Feeling slightly easier, but not complacent. This prepping lark is actually helping me to be more relaxed. Possibly because I feel more in control. I've also just discovered that cleaning out and filling milk bottles with water is not advised as they degrade in sunlight (in America at least) and juice bottles or bleach bottles are recommended - even my Explorer daughter knew that bleach bottles were the best because, even after rinsing, the bleach adhering to the plastic would keep the water fresh and you wouldn't need to add the 4 drops/gallon you otherwise would. The only worry is that reusing bleach bottles just goes against all my safety instincts and I may have to rescue the 2l soft drink bottles used by the various kids groups. Further water preps another time.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Currently ebaying surplus (to us) camping gear
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

this weekend I got the first lot of my camping gear! after a bit of a world tour I gave all mine away ~6 years ago. Me and the missus have decided we are gonna do some more walking/hiking and want to weave in some camping :)
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Ordered a few more magnifying glasses to help me with anything that a magnifier can be used for :) *thinks.... fire!*
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Given that we're all GCH and electric cooking and kettle, was wondering how on earth I would cook if there was a disaster right now. DD, who has proved invaluable so far, pointed out we have a massive metal (non rusting, hopefully) BBQ (charcoal only) in the garage which we've never used and we still have a large bag of charcoal and associated stuff to go with it. Our BBQs are usually impromptu for just the four of us and a single disposable BBQ is usually enough for four burgers and a bit of steak :). BBQ squirrel won't be a problem if we can catch one. I'm sure a sturdy pot or pan on the rack would warm up nicely too. Will be uncovering it to see how it's fared with several years of sitting in the garage under a cover at the weekend. Ever more reason to get our garage cleared out to see what other prepping treasures are lurking. Also added to my stash, from the attic, two large rolls of paper, a cross between hand towel and kitchen towel, a couple of boxes of non-latex disposable gloves and an unused plastic sterilising box. Find prepping fun, but even more fun when it's free. May I also suggest that I've seen many items that could be used for prepping on Freecycle. I often give stuff away and occasionally see something I'd like too. If you don't have much cash, you can get loads of stuff there, but you will usually have to collect it. Just thinking we could BBQ at the back of our garage, out of the rain, with the back door open for ventilation and we won't be overlooked, but is that safe enough (carbon monoxide)?
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

FEISTY wrote:. Just thinking we could BBQ at the back of our garage, out of the rain, with the back door open for ventilation and we won't be overlooked, but is that safe enough (carbon monoxide)?
I doubt it would be safe. Best buy a carbon monoxide detector to be safe for any indoors combustion anyway.

I also doubt whether you will need to be that safe from zombies anyway. IMHO, have your BBQ outside and you will be fine. The chances of total social and economic collapse and more riots are marginal by comparison with just having a power failure.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
zaktarin

Post by zaktarin »

This week ... looking a new tent.

Just scouting around now on the internet, reading previous topics on here, and other online reviews.

Would like 2-3 man tent, for two adults, for a few nights.

Budget c£100.

Any recommends? :)
Area 2

Prepping. Always.
TwoDo

Post by TwoDo »

nickdutch wrote:The chances of total social and economic collapse and more riots are marginal by comparison with just having a power failure.
Unless one reads up on peak oil, realizes just how much our society depends on cheap oil and is also pessimistic enough to think that the mythical "they" who are supposed to "think of something" to fix the problem might not actually be able to do so. In that case, one comes to the conclusion that the chances of social and economic collapse and more riots are pretty much 100%.

Those who aren't familiar with the consequences of peak oil might want to look up the writings of Dmitry Orlov, John Michael Greer, James Howard Kunstler. Personally, I hope they are all wrong, but I doubt it.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Can always use one of the Carbon Monoxide detectors from the house, I suppose, but will pick up an extra one at some point. This evening DD and I added a shedload of stuff to our preps. Unfortunately, some of that includes large bars of chocolate, boxes of chocolate mint thins, packs of shortbread and a giant size Nutella. Seriously thinking of not taking her next time :), but she insists on pushing the trolley around (so she can lean on it!) and unpacking/repacking and packing into the car. I'm only required to pay. All those Guide/Scout fundraising bag packs are paying off :). As well as the junk food, added: two large packs of spaghetti (to be frozen before being packed away, but have run out of space in the freezer :() - it can wait a day or two, more cans of pineapple, cans of custard (more junk), paracetamol (had to buy one pack separately because we also had Beechams with paracetamol - Tesco's two item rule), loratadine anti-histamine, plasters, 3 refills of coffee (bought more but this is for store) and a jar of Stevia. Clearly, meds will have to be bought in different places small amounts at a time to avoid check-out hassles. I forgot to buy any canned veg :(. Seriously thinking of buying Pot Noodles, because you can just add hot water. Can't underestimate how great that would be if you were really cold and hungry.