First job

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Big Bear

First job

Post by Big Bear »

As someone new to prepping, what should my first task be. Should i look to be building a bob first and foremost.
I was thinking i should be doing a stock take of what i have in the house etc but wasn't sure.
Look forward to the replies.
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival
jansman

Re: First job

Post by jansman »

Have a look around at what you have first, it'll be more than you think. Do not go rushing out spending cash. Stop, Look and Listen. Wish I had back then!! :? Could have saved a packet.
Personally I would evaluate my kit, and initially lay in one week's worth of food and water. It is a good base to work from I think.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Don't rush

See what you've got already

Work out your zombies are (no point prepping for flooding if you live halfway up a mountain, for instance)

List your skillset (Knowledge can't be misplaced and weighes nothing)

Set a 'Prep budget'
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
lincsprepper

Post by lincsprepper »

One of the first things on my to do list is improving my own fitness and removing my addictions. In a SHTF scenario my weight would most likely be my downfall and my caffeine cravings wouldn't help!
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Not sure if last reply went through as my device is playing up. I will stock take and see what i have/haven't got. Is there a golden rule regarding the amount of water etc
cypher

Post by cypher »

Food/Water will always be top of my to do list.
Area 6
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

my thoughts were stocking up the following gradually:
Water
flour and pulses
salt pepper.
rice
then gradually stock up on tinned good.

Once this looks to be in order should I will start on extra batteries candles etc.
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Assess your most immediate threats in the area you live.

Gather as much knowledge as you can and do some reading.... Knowledge does not weigh anything and will last.
Word of warning there are too many 'experts' and 'doom mongers' out there! Be realistic and take on board a basis of knowledge from someone who is credible.

You can then gather your supplies and as many people have said - save yourself a lot of money.
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Thanks Quaid.
I have some books on order which should be arriving soon. I'll get burrowed into them.
I know there are several self proclaimed "experts" out their that's why i tried to find a site like this. And to be honest after reading a few subjects/posts etc everyone on here sounds friendly and happy to help others without any massive egos.
I will get to work on assessing the situations i may face. Again, thanks everyone for the information
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Aye - don't panic and try to do everything at once! Start small and work up from there. I think I said on another thread, similar to Jansman, that start with a week and work from there.

Think about what you might need if the shops were shut, there was power issues and you couldn't leave your home for a reason - any reason - the reason doesn't matter to start with. Think of what you'd need to hydrate and feed yourself and any significant others for that week. Think about how you would keep warm if there was no power - extra duvets/blankets - not just alternative fuel! How could you cook food - BBQ? wood burner? open fire? camping stove? again for that week period. How would you keep clean etc. Medicines - have you got enough if you couldn't get to a pharmacy - from prescription to over the counter that you take normally. Once you are happy you could cope for a week stuck indoors with your own food, water and warmth then you can look to expanding the time. You can then look at other eventualities and lean your preps to what you think is a possible disaster/shtf moment be it personal or global.

Yes think about a 72 hour bag - in case you had to leave home for a couple of days - ie in case of flood/fire/tree fallen on your house and damaged it!

Most of all don't let prepping consume you - its good to be prepared for what ever is thrown at you but don't obsess! Have fun with it and use it to give you peace of mind that what ever disasters life puts your way, you will have the confidence to cope and survive be it a personal one like job loss or a country wide catastrophe such as an pandemic!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)