What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
Plymtom

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by Plymtom »

I got one of the round ones, it works, let it heat up really well first though(that helps the too hard syndrome) I tried it on the gas ring, it's slow though but that may be because the gas ring isn't meant to throw out that much heat, whereas an open fire or coals,it's design would toast the toast rather than incinerate it, if that makes sense, all that said the issue of bread in the scenario where those things would be called on is larger than that, it's how to make it, how to cut it into nice toasty slices, one thing we can be sure of is that the sliced toastie loaf could become like rocking horse poo PDQ any scenario from lorry driver strike to nuclear war.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Ferricks wrote:
Decaff wrote:Has anyone here used the machine that makes logs from old newspapers? If so is it any good and can they be burnt on any type of fire?

Hi Decaff - I have one and while I agree with all comments that it's a faff, it's a messy job, it's a lot of work for little return etc.etc. - it's still easily lit, easily acquired free fuel! I find it easier as a woman with a bad back (!) to use than to have to handle and manage logs on a large scale. I'm fortunate that I have my OH for that BUT it means I'm not dependent on anybody and I can fuel my own stove my own way - so it suits me to spend time making logs periodically to have a wee stock stashed.

It's whatever suits you but be aware of pros AND cons.
Aha! Ferricks, in the spirit of knowing that you're a good egg, can I ask you ... why do you choose to use the log maker rather than simply use the newspaper that you already have as fuel? Whats the difference? You could scrunch it, or roll it and knot it like I described - what makes the logs worth all that faff and mess?
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Arzosah wrote:
Ferricks wrote:
Decaff wrote:Has anyone here used the machine that makes logs from old newspapers? If so is it any good and can they be burnt on any type of fire?

Hi Decaff - I have one and while I agree with all comments that it's a faff, it's a messy job, it's a lot of work for little return etc.etc. - it's still easily lit, easily acquired free fuel! I find it easier as a woman with a bad back (!) to use than to have to handle and manage logs on a large scale. I'm fortunate that I have my OH for that BUT it means I'm not dependent on anybody and I can fuel my own stove my own way - so it suits me to spend time making logs periodically to have a wee stock stashed.

It's whatever suits you but be aware of pros AND cons.
Aha! Ferricks, in the spirit of knowing that you're a good egg, can I ask you ... why do you choose to use the log maker rather than simply use the newspaper that you already have as fuel? Whats the difference? You could scrunch it, or roll it and knot it like I described - what makes the logs worth all that faff and mess?
Presumably the denser something is, the longer it will take to burn (peat briquettes as opposed to peat, coal as opposed to coal dust).
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I absolutely agree, Feisty - but the briquettes we're referring to are made out of newspaper, so what I'm enquiring about is why using briquettes made out of newspaper might be preferable to using the newspaper directly, just scrunching it into a roll and not having all the faff of wetting it and drying it ...
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Arzosah wrote:I absolutely agree, Feisty - but the briquettes we're referring to are made out of newspaper, so what I'm enquiring about is why using briquettes made out of newspaper might be preferable to using the newspaper directly, just scrunching it into a roll and not having all the faff of wetting it and drying it ...

Because wetting it and compressing it makes it "denser" and they then burn significantly longer.

But having done it as a kid, it is a right old performance to make and dry the briquettes.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks Devonian! In my head, the briquettes always became a lot lighter ... doh!
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

Devonian wrote:
Arzosah wrote:I absolutely agree, Feisty - but the briquettes we're referring to are made out of newspaper, so what I'm enquiring about is why using briquettes made out of newspaper might be preferable to using the newspaper directly, just scrunching it into a roll and not having all the faff of wetting it and drying it ...

Because wetting it and compressing it makes it "denser" and they then burn significantly longer.

But having done it as a kid, it is a right old performance to make and dry the briquettes.
Agreeing with all comments here! - the briquettes burn longer, and more effectively with (importantly) less ash. Paper will burn really really quickly -and if rolled or compressed dry, the ash from the outer burn often smothers the flames and leaves them smouldering with little actual heat.

- as stated, it IS a right performance but for me, less "heavy" work and i can keep a wee supply to hand from a couple of days work in the summer.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Off on a tangent again :). Our tree surgeon was quite happy to chip a massive pile of our branches for our use rather than take them away. I have been using them for a while and will be for some time :). The chipper he uses is a massive beast and it takes no time at all. That being the case, a friendly local tree surgeon may also agree to provide a pre-cut (chainsawed) pile of waste branches/logs for considerably less cost than the logs I see for sale in various places. Perhaps you could supply a strong bag or two at a time and agree to have them left just inside your garden - not too much extra work for the tree surgeon. Perhaps you could send an e-mail or FB PM to friends who have gardens that you're looking for logs and they may supply them free of charge. If you catch tree surgeons at work and enquire, letting them know either you or the person you're asking for has mobility problems/very low income (whatever the situation), you may find you get a constant supply of fuel for nothing. Often no help is offered where none is requested. (Most) People like to help. If you get more than you can use, a back-up supply can be built up at little/no cost and the newspaper briquettes can be used as firelighters/back-up. I am just wondering what other free and safe things can be burnt as fuel. You can probably tell I'm a problem solver and I'm not scared to ask the question. Isn't it better that something gets used by someone who needs it rather than go into landfill?
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I usually pick up free wood from skips and industrial estates and cut it up myself, probably a slow way of doing it but it suits me.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

It really is a pity you don't live here because I hear chainsaws almost on a daily basis. You'd be able to fill your boots with firewood for free. Lonewolf - that is definitely another excellent option.