Compared To 10 Years Ago...

How are you preparing
SoCal92057

Re: Compared To 10 Years Ago...

Post by SoCal92057 »

Prepping has become a part of my life. It is a subtle but always present attitude without stress or strain. An awareness of negative possibilities without fear. I have been a prepper for well over 20 years and find that the preps give me peace of mind. Something non-preppers will also claim to have until you ask, "What will you do if..." and then they become nervous as they realize for them there are no options. Some psychologists believe the reason some people refuse to wear seat belts is because to do so acknowledges the possibility of an accident by prepping for one. Most preppers have come to the realization times can go from good to bad without warning. Prepping is a responsible thing to do for yourself and family, community and country.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
J23

Post by J23 »

I feel less safe than 10 years ago as I know more about the world.
But I don't worry just carry on enjoying life
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

having spent 43 years living in and around a city(albeit a small one compared to some) and having experience of what the human animal is capable of and how it treats others of its species, having left the city 15 years ago and now living on the very edge of a small market town in the middle of the Devon countryside surrounded by animals both farm and wild, where crime is next to non existent, I feel very happy with my situation. its only when I go to large towns or cities(an event I try to avoid if possible) that I feel the need to "watch my back".
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Safer now than ten or twenty years ago.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Older, sicker, poorer .... but better prepared to be able to cope with it all. :? Hopefully...?..
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Ten years ago??? I was renting in a nice house near Carlisle, still doing that now but nearer Penrith with the wife. I'm guessing my prep instinct is stronger, i have more cash to do it with now and now have a (small) stash of food, wifey is coming around to the idea of being a prepper (or a preppers wife). Safer??? Mmm, that's a good one, Lonewolf hit it on the nail, i come from Manchester and have seen the worse of it, living in a very rural location now, i couldn't even think of going back there. But i feel safer as a whole, but i genuinely feel that we will have problems in the future and i feel it will be food and fuel related, the cost of fuel always going up and maybe food shortages. What do others think of that???
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Scablifter wrote:Ten years ago, I was so wrapped up in worrying about the next ten years that I forgot to enjoy life. I will not be making that mistake for the next ten years. Whatever happens will happen, but if it does I'm ready as I can be.
Nice sentiment..enjoy life and we try to, health and financial restrictions can get us down, but a bit of fun and enjoyment of life is essential, keeping the topics prepping based is good on the one hand, yet can give the impression that we don't have fun, far from it :mrgreen:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Feeling safer than ten years ago. I had just met my partner and money was very scarce, we managed, just, to get by and though we didn't starve we never had any spare cash for extras or treats. Now we have well stocked food cupboards, stores of cleaning items, bathroom/personal items and more reliable smaller cars.

Each tin, packet jar or bottle I add to the stores gives me just that little bit more of a happier feeling. ;)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I think you are right Plymtom. 10 years ago I was full-on where 'Survivalism' was concerned. I mellowed, and concentrated more on self sufficiency. I no longer use the Survivalist label.
Now I enjoy my animals and gardens. I got back into my fishing, which I adore. I enjoy it all as a hobby and it all has obvious benefits.
As I get older and more organised I really feel more secure these days. Many here know that I am a fan of Cody Lundin. In one of his books he states that, "What you dwell upon , you will become."
-or in simple terms-Don't worry, be happy! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

lonewolf wrote:having spent 43 years living in and around a city(albeit a small one compared to some) and having experience of what the human animal is capable of and how it treats others of its species, having left the city 15 years ago and now living on the very edge of a small market town in the middle of the Devon countryside surrounded by animals both farm and wild, where crime is next to non existent, I feel very happy with my situation. its only when I go to large towns or cities(an event I try to avoid if possible) that I feel the need to "watch my back".
I'm the same. I Avoid the big city as much as possible. Even the centre of the nearest town is avoided as much as possible.

Just feel that bit safer and not having to as you say constantly watch my back when i am not there.
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival