What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
Stasher

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by Stasher »

Just had a look and the butts we have hold 1,000 litres each

You can buy proper water tanks, they're black (usually) and double skinned and bleedin' enormous! (At least the ones I've seen have been). You'll either need tractors or such and a team of big strong boys, planks and blocks to get the thing off the lorry and man handle into place. Good luck!
Knowledge is power
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I can sometimes get hold of the big white water tanks, but they are attached to pallets(so a forklift can be used) and weigh too much for me to move on my own, so I stick to the 45 gallon blue barrels which I can (usually) get for free from farms and industrial estates.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Hurrah!! My oxy absorbers have arrived. Individually wrapped which is good news. I will be filling my jars this weekend with rice and pasta shapes. :D

I may even be a devil and get some more jars!

Does anyone know if you can freeze corn kernels (for popcorn) before storing in jars or is this not necessary? :?
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Decaff wrote:Hurrah!! My oxy absorbers have arrived. Individually wrapped which is good news. I will be filling my jars this weekend with rice and pasta shapes. :D

Does anyone know if you can freeze corn kernels (for popcorn) before storing in jars or is this not necessary? :?
TBH, although I don't know, it probably can't hurt to kill off even the smallest piece of evil before you store it. If you are doing the long term, thing, its surely best to have the most sterile environment that you can have.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

nickdutch wrote:
Decaff wrote:Hurrah!! My oxy absorbers have arrived. Individually wrapped which is good news. I will be filling my jars this weekend with rice and pasta shapes. :D

TBH, although I don't know, it probably can't hurt to kill off even the smallest piece of evil before you store it. If you are doing the long term, thing, its surely best to have the most sterile environment that you can have.

Good point! I will do the freeze part, bring to room temp and see what it's like. Will jar it if OK and if not we will just have to eat it, I think we can manage that part easily :lol:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I've had a bit of a review of my water catchment at home. We've had a bit of a dry spell in Devon (no, I'm not drunk) and garden watering, drinking water and dog drinking water has seen 400 litres go in a couple of weeks. I need to get a few more 200 litres containers in store. The hydrobutt (I really am not drunk, that is what it's called) works well and adding more butts is quite an easy task.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:I've had a bit of a review of my water catchment at home. We've had a bit of a dry spell in Devon (no, I'm not drunk) and garden watering, drinking water and dog drinking water has seen 400 litres go in a couple of weeks. I need to get a few more 200 litres containers in store. The hydrobutt (I really am not drunk, that is what it's called) works well and adding more butts is quite an easy task.

Only a bloke would look to increase his butt... :shock: ;)
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

We too are struggling for water (yes even in the West of Scotland we're boiling!) and the gallons that we're using on the plots because we've got so many young veg plants are scary!

On another note - This week's big prep is my new bike and the fact that I've started a new physio routine for my back that's hopefully going to help me get fitter and stronger.

Take care all!
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

pseudonym wrote:
MissPrep wrote:This is my first deliberate prepping.
Addictive and rather pleasing at the same time isn't it? :mrgreen:
MissPrep wrote:The only big problem I have is that we drink a lot of milk and I don't know how to substitute for that. I use mine mostly in coffee, my 3yr old drinks it as is.
Try Nido - Full fat powdered milk - shelf stable to boot.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =260148289

All the supermarkets stock it - try the World aisles.

HTH
I spend a lot of time in the world aisles because of the fab, long life and large containers of goods that they have. Managed to miss this one, thank you, will add it to my Disco list. Also, I only ever buy sweet chilli dip form this aisle. Huge shelf life, 700/750ml bottle and about the same price as the small bottle on sale in the main aisle
Knowledge is power
strayed

Post by strayed »

Today I finished off document kits and have various copies saved and encrypted on usbs. I've also started working out weights mostly this week and running starts next week, I'm really dreading that one. I've also stocked up on a years worth of hayfever tablets for £10 which is great unfortunately the eye drops don't have a long shelf life so I'm still buying that each month.