1 years worth of Clothes?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
bladefalcon

Re: 1 years worth of Clothes?

Post by bladefalcon »

Very interesting Feisty, thank you! :)

And yes, I'm aware of jeans being utterly useless while "out in the field", the jeans are for heavy work, in the garden and for when a bit of warmth is required..! I also use them on some rock faces with very sharp edges, they prevent needless scrapes which you will certainly pick up in shorts or lycra!

On the hiking front: I have tried a number of different polycotton mixes (usually military combats) and they are mostly lovely and light, offer little resistance to movement and friction (especially in the crotch area! :? ), and also dry out very quickly. Strapped onto a pack on an average day, a wrung out pair of Soldier '95 DPMs will be dry in an hour. They also keep the contents of your pack cool in the process. Applying this same principle of evaporation, something I have found handy is a plain cotton (muslin towels work a treat) bandana, drenched in water and wrung out and placed over the head. Absolute bliss if walking/working in direct sunlight. Really takes that heat-stroke inducing edge off the sunlight.

Any thoughts on the overall durability(and ease of repair) of polycotton clothing though..?
Cymru
(Area 12)
:)
redskies

Post by redskies »

The warmest thing to wear that I've found is a long linen skirt, fully lined, with army surplus boots and thermal socks.

In terms of warmth, jeans aren't so good. Linen isn't bad, wool is best. If you don't like pure wool next to your skin, try a silk/bamboo/wool blend - wonderful stuff. I regularly blend those with my wool, it comes out very soft and smooth.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

bladefalcon wrote:Very interesting Feisty, thank you! :)

And yes, I'm aware of jeans being utterly useless while "out in the field", the jeans are for heavy work, in the garden and for when a bit of warmth is required..! I also use them on some rock faces with very sharp edges, they prevent needless scrapes which you will certainly pick up in shorts or lycra!

On the hiking front: I have tried a number of different polycotton mixes (usually military combats) and they are mostly lovely and light, offer little resistance to movement and friction (especially in the crotch area! :? ), and also dry out very quickly. Strapped onto a pack on an average day, a wrung out pair of Soldier '95 DPMs will be dry in an hour. They also keep the contents of your pack cool in the process. Applying this same principle of evaporation, something I have found handy is a plain cotton (muslin towels work a treat) bandana, drenched in water and wrung out and placed over the head. Absolute bliss if walking/working in direct sunlight. Really takes that heat-stroke inducing edge off the sunlight.

Any thoughts on the overall durability(and ease of repair) of polycotton clothing though..?
Yes, I agree. I wear old jeans in the garden. They don't get snagged and I can patch them. Yes, I actually do that. I only wear them in the house and garden. No-one to see me but the postman :). I tend not to garden in the heavy rain, so that isn't a problem. If it's really cold, I wear tights under jeans/trousers, but then I'm a girl. Not unknown for men to do that too ... :). I will be passing on the info re wet bandana to my daughter - she will be working out in the heat of the day at some point. Thanks. PS Step away from the poly/cotton ... :lol:
bettersafethansorry

Post by bettersafethansorry »

Dont know about a years worth but im good for socks and t-shirts for the next 5 years i think...

view in topic.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10201&p=111892#p111892

-M
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

I've bought some silk tops over the years which not only look nice when I'm out :!: They also fit in with my PIPS

Silk is lightweight, durable and helps maintain body temperature (cool in summer, warm in winter). Folds down to virtually nothing (you can easily carry one in a pocket), it's easy to wash and quick to dry. Furthermore, if it offered Genghis Khan some protection, hopefully it'll do the same for me!
Knowledge is power
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Not deriding the sense of having a stock of anything clothing included but if something happened that stopped us obtaining clothes surely the clothes one has now would last over a year. As mentioned things can be repaired and patched to extend their lives. I also have a couple of bolts of cloth for making of clothes in the house . I patch things up and incidentally I have posted the question as to whether it bothers people if someone turns up to work in patched jeans on a couple of other forums with to be honest mixed replies.
Thinking of the grey man approach then maybe patched clothing would be a better bet than a nice new pristine costume?
Mally

Post by Mally »

I wouldn't actually choose jeans for any outdoor venture but jeans are my preffered choice for everyday wear so could well be wearing jeans if caught out suddenly when the shtf!
With this in mind, I'm now gonna invest in a couple of pairs of Levis.
judicatr

Post by judicatr »

Mally wrote:I wouldn't actually choose jeans for any outdoor venture but jeans are my preffered choice for everyday wear so could well be wearing jeans if caught out suddenly when the shtf!
With this in mind, I'm now gonna invest in a couple of pairs of Levis.
Mally,
Personally, jeans are not my first choice for camping or adventuring or just generally wearing. But like real-estate I guess location is everything. Maybe the UK isn’t good for jeans but in their defense they’ve served folks in my part of the world pretty well since the 1880s.

In fact, years ago I was doing some back county camping / fishing in the Weminuche Wilderness (near 37 32.442N, 107 35.801W – for anyone interested) when I ran across an old cowboy. Not one of those fake, Hollywood or New York “Cowboys,” but an honest to God pistol toting, saddle gun packing, tent living, horse sitting cowboy. He was up moving stray cattle out of the wilderness. Had, by his account, been there several weeks and would likely be there a few more. I noticed that he was wearing standard issue Levi Strauss blue jeans. Maybe the jeans over in the UK are built different, but a good pair like those at the local feed stores around here, are pretty rugged, at least here anyway. True they do take forever to dry in humid climates.

Anyway I’m always surprised how many views and comments posts on sling shots (what I think you call a catapult?), air rifles, crossbows, firearms in general, etc. get, but I often wonder if folks ought not think about more foundational issues like clothing. As a fella who carries a gun as part of his profession I’ve given considerable thought and practice to the type, capacity, reliability, terminal end ballistics of, and how to put rounds where they count when it counts, of the weapons I carry. That’s a fun topic to discuss with the fellas over whisky amid cigar & pipe smoke but... Discussions about a set of boots that won’t ruin your feet after the first 5 miles and whether or not you jeans will work out in the back country is also useful.

Finally, one last thought. One of the reasons I signed up for this forum is that, from my perspective anyway, you all are foreigners (I mean no insult – hope none was taken); but you're not so foreign so that I couldn’t relate. You all see things from a different perspective and that makes me consider issues I hadn’t in the past. So thanks for all the input, even if the discussion is only about the relative merits of “jeans”.

Cheers.
Your American Friend
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

grenfell wrote:Not deriding the sense of having a stock of anything clothing included but if something happened that stopped us obtaining clothes surely the clothes one has now would last over a year. As mentioned things can be repaired and patched to extend their lives. I also have a couple of bolts of cloth for making of clothes in the house . I patch things up and incidentally I have posted the question as to whether it bothers people if someone turns up to work in patched jeans on a couple of other forums with to be honest mixed replies.
Thinking of the grey man approach then maybe patched clothing would be a better bet than a nice new pristine costume?
Hmm, been thinking about getting cloth for some time now, can 'patch up' clothing, but making it is new territory
Knowledge is power
Mally

Post by Mally »

Judicatr.. Clothes, to me, as a priority in my planning, come right at the top of my list. We have to wear clothes after all. I put more thought and effort into this area than any other.
My everyday Clothes. Most of my coats give reasonable protection from the elements. I wouldn't choose them for the hills but would be happy to be wearing one when the shtf. They are all load carriers too. Boots. I always wear boots. Don't wanns be caught out without them! A lot of thought goes into extremity protection too. Anyway, I've always bern aware that I fall short when it comes to jeans, mainly for the reasons that we've all picked up on. But I'd still be grateful for having them when the shtf. So! I really was serious about getting some levis. I have a friend who swears by them.