What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I used to forge them from 1/4 inch rebar, socket not shank.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

been fiddling around with the little 7W folding solar charger and battery, seems to do a good job of charging the phones and either the battery (will charge both mine and the missus' phones from flat to full and then a little more) or the solar charger will easily fit in the bag while out walking.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Bringing more of the allotment into cultivation, digging up a 2-inch mat of weed roots and re-sowing with a green manure to build a bit of fertility and prevent nutrient loss over winter. It's heavy going but the plot really needs it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

After I got back from fishing I started processing food from the garden. We use freezers a lot here at Chez Jansman, which keeps it simple. And yes, we have back-up power! :D So, I chopped and bagged lots of rhubarb, which if not eaten, I will brew it. Chopped and froze courgettes. With these we make a lovely, garlicky pesto. Froze a lot of peas, and leaving quite a few for drying for seed and eating in Winter. The cucumbers in the tunnel are about done, and I have pickled a lot. I have de-leafed the indoor tomatoes and I want them ripe and finished by the end of August so there is room in the polytunnel for Winter crops.
Also 'processed' five rabbits for the freezer too. Only leaves 5 gallons of Bitter to bottle after me tea and it has been a productive day. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

jansman wrote:After I got back from fishing I started processing food from the garden. We use freezers a lot here at Chez Jansman, which keeps it simple. And yes, we have back-up power! :D So, I chopped and bagged lots of rhubarb, which if not eaten, I will brew it. Chopped and froze courgettes. With these we make a lovely, garlicky pesto. Froze a lot of peas, and leaving quite a few for drying for seed and eating in Winter. The cucumbers in the tunnel are about done, and I have pickled a lot. I have de-leafed the indoor tomatoes and I want them ripe and finished by the end of August so there is room in the polytunnel for Winter crops.
Also 'processed' five rabbits for the freezer too. Only leaves 5 gallons of Bitter to bottle after me tea and it has been a productive day. :D
The pesto sounds good, will you post recipe?? :)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Decaff wrote:The pesto sounds good, will you post recipe?? :)
Was thinking the same thing, I love pesto!!!
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
jansman

Post by jansman »

I will put it up on the recipe section. It is a Hugh Whittingsall recipe, we call it 'courgette pesto', though it is a variant. Damn good use for those courgettes.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Finally purchased a thermometer to check for fever and temperature. I cant believe its taken me this long to get my hands on one.

I wonder how many other "normal" things I lack?

Oh yea.... an ironing board...... Thats next :)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

nickdutch wrote:Finally purchased a thermometer to check for fever and temperature. I cant believe its taken me this long to get my hands on one.

I wouldn't bother with a board, you can get really good ironing mats now that you can put on a worktop or tabletop, fold up and put in a drawer when not needed. Gives more room for prepps in the cupboard, or one that screws to the wall an lays flat when not in use. :P
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Decaff wrote:
nickdutch wrote:Finally purchased a thermometer to check for fever and temperature. I cant believe its taken me this long to get my hands on one.

I wouldn't bother with a board, you can get really good ironing mats now that you can put on a worktop or tabletop, fold up and put in a drawer when not needed. Gives more room for prepps in the cupboard, or one that screws to the wall an lays flat when not in use. :P
;)
Knowledge is power