Mally

Re: Food Riots -

Post by Mally »

Ha ha.. I don't think I'll be indulging any time soon either :lol:
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

I've eaten sheep's brains.

I was tramping in Spain, stopped at a little bakery outside a village to ask for water. I was invited in for a chat, then the baker showed me his oven (yeah, I know, that old gag!) - huge great stone-built thing, turntable made of solid stone so well-geared it could be spun by hand, sling the bread in, rotate to keep putting bread in, by the time it had gone around one revolution you could start taking it out again. It hadn't cooled down in a hundred years.

He asked me if I'd like lunch so I said yes, of course. He spun the handle to bring a casserole back to the opening, there was a sheep's head split in half lying on a bed of potatoes and onions. Well it would have been rude to refuse, so I gritted my teeth as it were and got on with it. The brains were soft and creamy, like a pate. Brains are very fatty. The cheek muscles were quite tough, the tongue was tasty.

Not the worst thing I've eaten, I have to say.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

featherstick wrote:I've eaten sheep's brains.

I was tramping in Spain, stopped at a little bakery outside a village to ask for water. I was invited in for a chat, then the baker showed me his oven (yeah, I know, that old gag!) - huge great stone-built thing, turntable made of solid stone so well-geared it could be spun by hand, sling the bread in, rotate to keep putting bread in, by the time it had gone around one revolution you could start taking it out again. It hadn't cooled down in a hundred years.

He asked me if I'd like lunch so I said yes, of course. He spun the handle to bring a casserole back to the opening, there was a sheep's head split in half lying on a bed of potatoes and onions. Well it would have been rude to refuse, so I gritted my teeth as it were and got on with it. The brains were soft and creamy, like a pate. Brains are very fatty. The cheek muscles were quite tough, the tongue was tasty.

Not the worst thing I've eaten, I have to say.
I would have just eaten the veg!! I just couldn't have eaten that, any of it. I think you can safely say I am a food phobic where meat is concerned, although not a vegetarian, I don't touch fish or shellfish either.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Funnily enough I had offal the other day , trotters to be exact , almost turned my sister in law's stomach :lol:
If anyone is interested here's a recipe using pigs heads-
http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/596546
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

If you were hungry enough, i think pigs trotters would be delicious, they do say, the only part of a pig that is not used is the 'squeak. I think i have said in a previous thread though, i couldn't eat my dog, Dusty, that i think is a bit too far, but trotters??? if i was starving....
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

I'm happily in the position that my Granny was a butcher... so not too squeamish with the animal bits at this end !

There's nothing that puts me off on principle, but there ARE things I'm not fond of - pigs kidney's for example don't taste very nice- but they do make good stock for minestrone and then can be fed to the dog or chickens so don't discount anything!

Frankly, I don't see why brains would be any "ickier" than a steak hacked off a cow's bum.

(just an opinion...)
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

The only thing I wouldn't eat again is tripe. Tried it some time ago and despite cooking it in various ways I couldn't find it palatable . It's not so much the taste which it frankly doesn't have but the texture which I found unpleasant .
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

grenfell wrote:The only thing I wouldn't eat again is tripe. Tried it some time ago and despite cooking it in various ways I couldn't find it palatable . It's not so much the taste which it frankly doesn't have but the texture which I found unpleasant .
Texture and smell are the main things for me, liver has a horrible texture, kidneys stink when being cooked which is strong urine (not eaten since I was a kid) hearts, where to start!! Uck!!! Remember them being stuffed and baked, I used to call them tubes.. Sheesh I hate offal, never tried tripe and never will, heck I even take the skin off my sausages cos its disgusting to me! I am a food nightmare :oops:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Mally

Post by Mally »

I'm the same with liver. It makes me gip as soon as it goes in my mouth. There was one occasion however, on a survival weekend, where a friend brought some cooked liver which had previously been soaked overnight in brandy.
That was the first time I ever managed to eat liver. Totally different texture and taste.
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

I find that liver works best as a pate and I have often added brandy or sherry to pate.

Kidneys work well in a soup with onions and herby dumplings.

Trotters as a base for soup with onions. dried peas or lentils and loads of seasoning.