Yellowstone Super Volcano

How are you preparing
PrepperNI

Yellowstone Super Volcano

Post by PrepperNI »

Hi Preppers,

I seen a recent post on the internet stating that there was an increase in activity from the Caldera super volcano in Yellowstone. This was leading to the evacuation of some locals from the area. I know that if this thing was to errupt it could possibly be an Extinction Level Event. I have tried to find other sources confirming this other than the trusty internet. Has anyone else heard or seen any info on this?

Mark.
Stasher

Re: Yellowstone Super Volcano

Post by Stasher »

I dunno, but this all looks quite old to me

http://rt.com/usa/172672-supervolcano-y ... sed-roads/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/ ... DB20140403

Mind you, it's less than a nano second to a tectonic plate......................
Knowledge is power
PrepperNI

Post by PrepperNI »

Hey thanks for the info.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/activity/status.php

That's about the size of it normal, pardon the pun but they'd have trouble keeping a lid on it if anything was happening ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Yellowstone gets a lot of reporting but the ones to worry about are Katla in Iceland and the volcanoes in the Naples area.
Katla will have an effect on our climate and crops. Vesuvius/Bay of Naples are hard to evacuate and the system is a bit like a large bomb waiting to go off in a very civilized and historically important part of Europe.

How nice to have things to look forward to. :shock:
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Remember Pompeii and Herculaneum!!!
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

[quote="SooBee"]Bay of Naples a very civilized and historically important part of Europe.

You have obviously never been an away supporter at Napoli!
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

I have never been a supporter of a bunch of idiots kicking a ball round a field.
I much prefer hitting a ball with a stick.

Try taking a hockey stick with you next time you visit Naples. :D

Seriously though, the ground under the coastal towns round the Bay of Naples has been slowly rising for some decades and that usually indicates rising magma. It may all just settle back down again the way it rises and falls (breathes) at Yellowstone but close monitoring is the only chance of any real warning.
Steve20vt

Post by Steve20vt »

Or there's this option

Scientists Warn Of Massive
Tidal Wave From
Canary Island Volcano

A wave higher than Nelson's Column and travelling faster than a jet aircraft will devastate the eastern seaboard of America and inundate much of southern Britain, say scientists who have analysed the effects of a future volcanic eruption in the Canary Islands.

A massive slab of rock twice the volume of the Isle of Man would break away from the island of La Palma and smash into the Atlantic Ocean to cause a tsunami - a monster wave - bigger than any recorded, the scientists warned yesterday.

Most of the wave's energy, equivalent to the combined output of America's power stations for six months, would travel westwards to the American coast but enough would be flicked north towards the English Channel to cause catastrophic coastal damage.

A computer model has been designed to show the way the tsunami will build after the volcano, called Cumbre Vieja, erupts on La Palma, at the western end of the Spanish island chain. It describes the almost unimaginable scale of an event that the scientists say could happen at any time within the foreseeable future.

"We're looking at an event that could be decades or a century away - but there will be a degree of warning beforehand," said Simon Day, of the Benfield Greg Hazard Reseach Centre at Univeristy College London.

Most of the rocky western flank of Cumbre Vieja is unstable enough to be dislodged in the next big eruption of the volcano, which is active enough to explode at least once or twice a century. Its last big event was in 1949.

Such a landslide from a future eruption could travel up to 60 kilometres (37 miles) from La Palma's coast, causing the formation and then collapse of a dome of water 900 metres (3,000ft) high and tens of kilometres wide. The bow of this collapsing dome of water would become a giant wave, but also, as the landslide continued to move underwater, a series of crests and troughs would soon generate the "wave train" of the tsunami.

With the leading wave in front and crests pushing it on behind, it would sustain the power for the nine-hour journey to the American east coast.

Tsunami means harbour wave in Japanese and, though the occurrence has nothing to do with the tides, it is often called a tidal wave in English. Throughout history they have caused widespread devastation, with Britain last being affected by one in 1755 when an earthquake in Lisbon caused an unusually large wave to hit southern ports.

The computer model, compiled in collaboration with Steven Ward of the University of California, Santa Cruz, predicts that the tsunami will have a height of 100 metres (330ft) from crest to trough when it crashes into the shores of nearby north-west Africa. By the time it reached its final destination, the east coast of Florida and the Caribbean islands, the tsunami would still be up to 50 metres high.

Read more http://rense.com/general13/tidal.htm
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Now this really is the fun one but there should be a bit of warning...not that anyone will listen to warnings.

I live about 300ft up so I hope that will be enough to keep my feet dry but the people living in coastal towns should have their routes to the rear well marked out asap. I do of course have a few spare cups so you can get a cuppa at my place if things get a little damp where you are.

The worry is that tsunami have a nasty habit of getting higher as they go into an estuary. Maybe Bristol should just pack up and leave early.