What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
FEISTY

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by FEISTY »

Decaff wrote:I try to keep my prepping stuff in out of the way places, can't cope with clutter it makes me feel stressed. Out of site is good for me in places that I don't have to use on a daily basis. I do love storage though.. one of my weak points :oops: I need to get decent strong shelving system into my hall cupboard so that I can maximize the space that is in there, expensive though! I've been looking around at cheaper options but they just don't look like they could take the strain, problem being that 2 of the walls to the cupboard are just too flimsy so can't screw anything to them to make it sturdy. Need good strong freestanding racking system.
I, too, love storage and am very frustrated about the flimsiness of modern furniture, which doesn't actually seem to hold much either. Spent ages the other day searching in a rabbit warren of an antiques shop (a large farmhouse and out buildings given over to the antiques business) for suitable cabinets to add (either beautiful and ready to use or potential upcycle projects) because they are just so much better. A lot of our furniture is painted wooden furniture which would have been expensive when first bought, but very inexpensive second hand. Lots of shops are selling very expensive versions of the same thing, but the quality is crap (no mincing of words here). It was a great (no entry fee :)) day for the kids and, although I didn't find what I wanted, I came away with a couple of precious items which would have cost so much more new. On our next trip I could find the perfect thing, who knows. The cabinet I want will hold coats, etc in the hall, freeing up other space for, guess what, .. da, da, da, dah .. more preps :). We found a couple of things with hidden compartments :). Unfortunately, they weren't very sophisticated and easily found (if you were looking for them), otherwise my purse would have taken a bigger hit :). My kids loved it and can't wait for our next trip. The hunt for hidden compartments (being very careful, of course) was great fun. Next time we will take some "nosegays" to ward off the musty smell until we acclimatise to it - not a big fan of fusty smells. The stuffed animals were a bit offputting, but apparently they star in a lot of TV and film productions, for hire as they are. These places are full of treasure trove and worth a look. From a prepping point of view, I clocked the very tame wild bunnies outside (a potential lunch or two), a few old, but solid, hunting knives and even a spear. There was a road roller (which I'll remember if the S really does HTF and we need to re-do the road surfaces). Being genuinely antique, nothing originally used electricity and, if it had been converted, could be converted back. Even a wind-up watch or clock would be useful. I know lots of people love car boots, but has anyone else found anything useful in an antiques shop?
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Bought a hand pressurised garden spray, so I can disinfect the area with bleach if required.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Le Mouse

Re: Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by Le Mouse »

Memphis wrote:[Had a chance to try them out yet? Ive got a samsung at the minute so I need something like this :lol:
I went to London today (well, yesterday now!) and took both with me. I had charged them overnight. One I think might have a fault because I think it doesn't fully charge properly, but even so I managed to get my phone back into 90-odd% battery from about 30%. The second one fully charged it with some to spare. I use the Citymapper app a lot when I'm in London to find quickest routes and so I can get through a total of three lots of charge in one day! It was also my birthday, so for one day I was Miss Popular! :mrgreen: I might be better off looking into a new phone that has better battery life (mine is also a Samsung, albeit one that now counts as being ancient in phone terms). I'd recommend the power banks - they are cheap and they do the job. I don't know how long they will last, but I'm not planning on using them everyday so I don't mind too much. If it was something that would get heavy use, then I would do a bit more research and look into a heftier version with more power capability.
moocher

Post by moocher »

On the local selling page on Facebook , a juniors armex bow,4 arrows and camo top and trousers for £30 . A nice little bargin.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Local Tesco have reduced 100ltr water butt and stand down to £13. :mrgreen:

Only had room in the car for one. :cry:

Will try again tomorrow ;)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Virtual "ooh" to pseudonym and moocher ... I've been making a multi-fruit jam - plums, blackberries and apples. I cooked the plums first - and they set on their own. Now I've added a kilo of sugar and more fruit, they're not set any more. Pah! Never mind, there's a lot of jam/jam substitute.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Had a nice small but pleasant get together at Stainsacre near Whitby with some other folks from the NE and a few visiting the region enroute to Northumberland, only seven people but a very pleasant gathering of like minded people. Rain was not an issue because we put up two 12 by 12 gazebos to shelter and cook under. ( we busted the frame on one taking it down )
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

Steve20vt wrote:This week was our first week of prepping. We picked up 20 tinned produce, a load of dry packaged food stuffs, bottled water, medicines and cleaning products.
We didn't spend much and have the beginnings of our cache.

On top of our regular consumption of "stuff" we can now survive an extra week :)
congratulations!
Ragdolly

Post by Ragdolly »

Seed saving today from my garden (kale and toms) and harvesting herbs. Some are tied in bunches drying and the others are going into the dehydrator later.

Will be making pickles later too - it's too hot right now ;)
ggc

Post by ggc »

After some planning and measuring I have made some changes to our kitchen so we now have the space for 3 additional base unit cupboards. These cupboards will be invaluable for us, as it means we can store a lot more food and cleaning products without it being obvious to visitors.