Popcorning

Medical and Healthcare
EarlyPrepper

Popcorning

Post by EarlyPrepper »

First things first, I'm back, second, I found this effect of nuclear bombs. Although I do not prep for a nuclear holocaust, I found this interesting and decided to share it.

Popcorn Effect - It refers to burns caused on the skin by overheated dust. When grains of sand or particles of earth are overheated by thermal radiations, they explode and jump like popcorn when in contact with a red-hot plate. While these powders or dust are still transported in the atmosphere, the continuity of the thermal radiations overheats them still more bringing them to temperatures which, in a clear day and following a powerful explosion, may be of several thousands of degrees. Following, the blast wave and the resulting strong winds will deposit the overheated dust or corpuscles inside premises or open shelters. Workers inside an open refuge 100 meters away from ground zero at Nagasaki suffered burns on the exposed parts of the body by the corpuscles caused by the explosion notwithstanding the fact that the tunnel had one o two curves. Notably no one among them who survived the shock wave's effect suffered lethal burns or damages from radiation. Animals in open refuges were seriously burnt and stamped due to the popcorn effect during nuclear tests in Nevada. From nuclear tests it has been possible to establish the thermal intensity which the ground must undergo to produce the popcorn effect. Powerful explosions in the air may cause burns to the exposed skin through overheated air or corpuscles at an overpressure as low as 3 or 4 psi (pounds per square inch).
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein
Stasher

Re: Popcorning

Post by Stasher »

Wow, thanks for this, v interesting
Knowledge is power
EarlyPrepper

Re: Popcorning

Post by EarlyPrepper »

Also found this:
Anyone in such a place, at the time of blast, within a couple of miles of ground zero will be subjected to a phenomenon called popcorning. Minute particles of greatly accelerated sand will cause blisters to pop out all over exposed parts of the body. This, combined with several other pathological mechanisms, will
probably result in a rather painful death within a few days.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein