New prep

How are you preparing
xplosiv1

New prep

Post by xplosiv1 »

Well my newest prep is to move house.

I cant wait, moving on the 12th September, new house has 3 floors, 5 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, also has a basement currently unused but I'll soon change that (so 4 floors really)..... 1,100 sq feet of storage in basement alone. pretty big shed 5mX5m make a nice workshop and a mature vegetable garden (should easily produce enough for the missus and myself for the year).

House is located on top of a hill with parkland to the front and a pretty quiet road, so no chance of flooding and not many people passing the property.

I now have a Safe room ..... yep you read that right, I 'm pretty sure the guy who used to own it was an extreme prepper. its just a small box room (3m x 4m) but the walls, floor and ceiling have been steel reenforced, bank safe style door entry and ballistic glass on window with steel bars on the inside so it look no different from the outside (it's also on the thrid floor so I wouldn't want to hold up in there if there was a fire).

it needs a bit of work, but that doesn't really bother me. needs to be rewired and possible re plumbed I can do all that myself other than that I may change a few windows and doors and then its just decorating.

I would have loved to have met the guy that owned it but he's dead now ...... there are a ton of hunting trophies in the shed and 5 gun safes in the "safe room" I also found a receipt from Smith & Wesson on the floor of the safe room when I went to view the place a few weeks ago for $44,000.

I have a feeling there may be a few hidden gems in this house as the property was sold including all the contents ....... I got a good deal on it too - £35,000 under the average sale price for that street.

It's in a good area, well not the best area but definitely not a target area in a SHTF scenario like where I live now. My current property is in one of the better parts of Glasgow, definitely a target area for looting etc .... I'm not too bothered moving again I only moved in here 2 years ago and just sold it for a £25,000 profit ..... lots of new preppy goodies to be bought lol, already started a list.

Is anyone else moving house soon or looking to move..... what do you look for in a property
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
preppingsu

Re: New prep

Post by preppingsu »

That sounds fantastic.

Keep us updated with other secret finds :D
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Sounds magnificent!! Well done on a good purchase! I have basement envy all over again!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

I can see you tapping walls and lifting floor boards :D :D
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Hamradioop wrote:I can see you tapping walls and lifting floor boards :D :D
well I plan on pulling them anyway for rewiring and plumbing so might be worth a good hard look while there up.

the gun safes are locked too but I really doubt anything is in there.

on my second visit they let me pull up one of the carpets cause I kept asking ..... I was so happy to see 6" 140 year old Oak floorboards, Its a lovely building only thing is I think the last time it was decorated was back in the 60's ...... lots of people went to see it but I guess they just couldn't visualise the opportunities the building offered.

all the original features have been retained, I just plan to sympathetically bring it into the 21st century while retaining everything that gives it character.

If I find anything i'll let you guys know..... it'll be like a treasure hunt lol

Kinda weird though going through someone else's stuff but I guess he doesn't care or need it anymore.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Error 404
Last edited by Smudge on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

Your first job should be to ensure there is nothing in the gunsafes! A safe room wont be any help from the long arm of the law if your found to have firearms or ammunition that you are not certified fot :shock:
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

As this appears to be an estate sale, Do not forget to go through everything before disposing of it. People hide money and valuables every where, Money can be placed between the pages of Books and Magazines for instance. Never let a house clearance firm over the threshold as they are all rogues of one sort or another.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Hamradioop wrote:As this appears to be an estate sale, Do not forget to go through everything before disposing of it. People hide money and valuables every where, Money can be placed between the pages of Books and Magazines for instance. Never let a house clearance firm over the threshold as they are all rogues of one sort or another.
Hamradioop is dead right, go thro EVERYTHING

It sounds like you have a lovely adventure ahead over the coming months. The house sounds wonderful. Best of luck :)
Knowledge is power
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

So jealous. Didn't think such a place would exist in the West of Scotland. Wondering how much you paid and how much it will all cost you in the end? Be careful with the electrics and gas stuff. No house is safe from dodgy wiring, gas explosions and CM gas - some of this isn't DIY territory. Are you sure the dead chap wasn't the local mafia, drug dealer or dirty tricks businessman :)? Only family we know with extensive security has ticked off so many people (running another bus company off the road, etc) I would imagine he doesn't walk down many dark alleys by himself :). He's busy working on his "pillar of the community" status, but people don't forget. Just make sure folks know the house has a new owner :)! I really want a safe room :).