New kit

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
xplosiv1

New kit

Post by xplosiv1 »

well bought myself a new vest ...... stab proof, spike proof ..... also ballistic rated for 357 magnum or 308 rifle point blank ......fits like a glove, £40 well spent me thinks

It's ex police , they retail for over £1,000 new, this one is almost new to be honest not a mark on it.

I think the first modification is to get rid of the distinctive reflective band across the chest

Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Briggs 2.0

Re: New kit

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Do the armour plates overlap behind the front zip?
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Briggs I dont think those vest have ceramic plates.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Hamradioop wrote:Briggs I dont think those vest have ceramic plates.
That's what I was thinking so I was puzzled how it's rated to stop 357 or 308. Mind you, it's handy to have around for it's knife protection as there's more chance of being stabbed than hit by 357 and 308 rounds.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:
Hamradioop wrote:Briggs I dont think those vest have ceramic plates.
That's what I was thinking so I was puzzled how it's rated to stop 357 or 308. Mind you, it's handy to have around for it's knife protection as there's more chance of being stabbed than hit by 357 and 308 rounds.

Exactly , knives are the main threat ..... the front of the jacket is separate to the armor, the front piece of armor is one solid piece not split in the middle, the plates are composite Kevlar not ceramic.

This vest is US NIJ Level 2 has been designed to protect against 8 g (124 gr) 9 mm FMJ RN bullets at a velocity of 398 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1305 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 10.2 g (158 gr) .357 Magnum Jacketed Soft Point bullets at a velocity of 436 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). And all lesser threats.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

Nice jacket xplosiv1, where did you get it from?

Can't see it stopping a 308 though, Winchester fmj 150 grain has a muzzle felocity of 2820 fps and most jackets available are designed to stop pistol calibre rounds. Luckly not many people carry 308 rifles :D
Memphis

Post by Memphis »

If you have the contacts to source that im sure you could get some ceramic plates and mod pouches to fit them in? (im thinking of the little ones the military used to use for protecting the heart)

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
tigs

Post by tigs »

police vests are deigned to use flexible plates not solid ceramic plates, more commonly known as stab vests, also designed to stop handgun rounds
Last edited by tigs on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Out of interest, wouldn't protective clothing for tree surgeons offer the same protection, or is the 'stab' a different protection to the ripping of the chain saw?

Just curious
Knowledge is power
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Far as I'm aware chainsaw gear shreds fibers to jam a chainsaw don't think would offer any stabb or shot protection
I've one of these ex police vest and a stab and spike vest I use for work