What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
nickdutch

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by nickdutch »

FEISTY wrote:
nickdutch wrote:Practiced making "Congee" a kind of porridge of a savory nature made from rice. My congee for lunch was rice, brown lentil, onion, vegetable stock.

Basically cook it to buggery and blend it and the result can be very nice. A very warming cheap meal. Maybe the addition of coconut oil would have given it a je ne sais quoi, but seasoning it with crushed black pepper and some sea salt made it fantastic.

It was quite hard to believe that it was a scrubby cheap meal. However, I believe that without the addition of the stock it would have been bland as hell.

You can make up your own congee recipe, mine was using value basmati rice as thats what i had on hand, but people use anything including buckwheat, quinoa and allsorts and add all manner of veggies to it.

I think that congee is a more Chinese dish. Mine probably lacked that chinese flair and probably tasted too English, but what the heck.
I've become quite fond of you on this site and I'm sure you will survive some kind of SHTF situation much better than me :). Your innovative recipes remind me of Mrs Cropley (God rest her soul :)) in the Vicar of Dibley. I'm looking forward to "1001 Ways With Tofu", "Congee & Quinoa: The Bible" and "Foods You Can Eat With A Straw". I can't see me eating any of it any time soon, but I'm backing up your findings just in case :). I hope you really don't eat just the stuff you talk about on here all the time. The lack of food I could properly chew and a bit of pudding occasionally would send me out for a Mars Bar. :) Just as I said though, you will probably survive and I will starve for the want of a steak :).

Thanks for the compliment.

If my cash flow is good, I have my raw baby spinach and all manner of healthy stuff, but still experiment with cheap ghastly foods and try and learn how to make them not only bearable but also appetising, the kind of thing you look forward to rather than the kind of thing that you eat with your eyes closed whilst visualising a steak or with an old fashioned clothes peg on your nose. Thats why its essential to have herbs, spices (including curry), dried onion (if you can), some vegetable stock, tubes of tomato puree, sweeteners and the like in stock so that life can be enjoyable when you are screwed.

I suppose that its as a result of having done without in the past for many reasons, many of which were my fault and many of which were not, that I have to keep my mind focused on short ish term times without. Also, if you need to save up for the next shiny toy, going back to "trial runs" can save you a bit and that can be useful.

On another note, today I experimented with a new Mylk recipe ("Mylk" is the spelling of "milk" amongst one of the online American dairy free crowds who makes their own so as to differentiate it from normal cows milk. So, I thought I would steal the word!) in my soy milk maker. Soy beans plus chick peas plus sunflower seeds. The sunflower seemed to add extra body and a lovely after taste to the milk that gives it a real something. Having that fresh, hot and sweetened with stevia was just as satisfying as I remember that a normal full fat milk used to be in the evenings before bed. And, delightfully cheap by volume too!

IIRC, sunflower seed is a high fat food, so maybe that has given the mylk the fat it lacks? Some add small quantities of coconut oil to their mylks to give it extra full fattedness, but after the sunflower experiment, I don't think that will be all that necessary.
next step is to try it cold to cool my porridge down just like we used to use cows milk in the days when I partook of it.

Drinking the whole 3 X 500 ml jars throughout a day would probably contribute nicely to my caloric in take as well as all macro-nutrients plus fibre. Probably pretty slim on most micro-nutrients though.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

FEISTY wrote:Still clearing out the garage. Have identified a chest freezer suitable for use in the garage. I've got it on the wish list. Having just spent over £500 on shelving and various items, I'm not rushing into suggesting it just yet :). Doing a lot of work around the house and garden and a lot of garden planning for next year - that will be on-going. Sorry not on here much at the moment. Hope everyone is well.
Have you asked on Freecycle? We've been given 2 fridges - one after an emergency when ours gave up entirely, the other as a back-up. People sometimes have spare ones in the garage they no longer need.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

featherstick wrote:
FEISTY wrote:Still clearing out the garage. Have identified a chest freezer suitable for use in the garage. I've got it on the wish list. Having just spent over £500 on shelving and various items, I'm not rushing into suggesting it just yet :). Doing a lot of work around the house and garden and a lot of garden planning for next year - that will be on-going. Sorry not on here much at the moment. Hope everyone is well.
Have you asked on Freecycle? We've been given 2 fridges - one after an emergency when ours gave up entirely, the other as a back-up. People sometimes have spare ones in the garage they no longer need.
I do often use Freecycle, but we've invested in some really good shelving and a lot of work is going on in the garage, as time allows. Just fancied a new freezer and want to make sure it's one sold especially for use in the colder environment. It'll be squeaky clean and save me some elbow grease :). Not really ready for the freezer yet anyway. Floor being painted as space is cleared. A lot of stuff in our garage - not been cleaned out in over 5 years :oops: .
JamieSmith

Post by JamieSmith »

So my prep's for this week are:

New bag for my 72hour pack :)
20ltrs of water
Sea Salt- 1kg
Sugar- 2kg
Raw Honey
Tinned fish - pilchards, mackerel, red salmon and tuna
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

JamieSmith wrote:So my prep's for this week are:

New bag for my 72hour pack :)
20ltrs of water
Sea Salt- 1kg
Sugar- 2kg
Raw Honey
Tinned fish - pilchards, mackerel, red salmon and tuna
What's your preference with the tinned fish? I used to think in oil was more fuel efficient calorie wise, but for normal use the tomato/brine option is probably better health wise.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
JamieSmith

Post by JamieSmith »

I like tinned fish as apart from having a half decent shelf life, it contains omega 3 fatty acids which some say can reduce depression (useful if it does work in a SHTF situation), keeps your joints moving and has links to improving brain function. And on top of that I like fish :)... I value tinned fish as it has some good benefits so others may agree or disagree.
Ragdolly

Post by Ragdolly »

Back a couple of pages to the canning -

Corn relish, zucchini relish, chutney, pickled onions / beet root/ cukes, garlic, jam ( a lot of jam)
Chocolate cherry pie filling, fruit of the vine ketchup,

Still gots to make hot sauce....

DH came home with a semi auto and 1100 rounds.

I picked up a 72 hour "go" bag in Walmart (asda) for $40 ( approx 55 quid)

My purchase pales into insignificance - especially when he pulled the bayonet out.....
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yikes, ragdolly! Being over the pond, as you say, thats legal of course (in every state?)

Great list of *your* accomplishments :D - pickled cukes are a lot more popular here with them being in the Polish shops - my elderly mum remembers them from her childhood, its sort of given her a new lease of life food-wise.

Can I ask what fruit of the vine ketchup is? Trying to envisage .... sounds great, though!
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Wow!! Ragdolly that all sounds scrummy!! I wondered what cukes were till I read further down, I think I know these as gherkins or locally as wallies!! 8-)

I'm having problems keeping my jams as my family know I make it and have been asking for some!! Glad I made a few smaller jars this year so I can get to keep some in my stores!! I would be ransacked if I canned food!! Hope you store your goodies out of sight!! Or will DH prepps keep them at bay :lol:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

JamieSmith wrote:I like tinned fish as apart from having a half decent shelf life, it contains omega 3 fatty acids which some say can reduce depression (useful if it does work in a SHTF situation), keeps your joints moving and has links to improving brain function. And on top of that I like fish :)... I value tinned fish as it has some good benefits so others may agree or disagree.
My son and I love salmon, but farmed salmon is flabby and fatty. We've pretty much moved over to eating just tinned wild salmon like I did when I was young. Nothing nicer than a wee pile of salmon sandwiches, but in SHTF scenario, minus the bread, flaked salmon and salad from the garden is nice too.