What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
nickdutch

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by nickdutch »

Started the seasonal collection of £1 coins for the electric and gas meters. If I can do £10 a week for 10 weeks, January will be a lot easier.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
jansman

Post by jansman »

It is a good idea Nick. Apparently it is called the "envelope " system. One that my wife and I have used for years. I have always been paid in cash,weekly. So we divvi the cash up to where it needs to go, usually in a column in a cash book and into the bank. However, my Coal Merchant likes cash, so we shove cash in an envelope and into the safe. Works for us.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Good idea Nick! My gas is on a card system that I load up each month, can't cope with a big bill coming in. Advantage is you notice how much you are using and turn down the thermostat and tend to remember not to leave the water on when its not needed!

My shopping arrived and I went a tad OTT with soap powder, cleaning goodies, more toothpastes, deodorants, feminine bits and pieces, will log tomorrow and put away. 8-)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Always do Decaff, the great thing about tinned food is the huge shelf life it has, you can to an extent ignore best before dates. I'll build up a nice supply then start munching it to rotate the age. Must get some more meths and paraffin for the Tilley lamps too, while I remember, winter is coming, and ppl don't forget to prep your cars etc ready for the cold months. :-)
Up in the wet South Lakeland
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Decaff wrote:Good idea Nick! My gas is on a card system that I load up each month, can't cope with a big bill coming in. Advantage is you notice how much you are using and turn down the thermostat and tend to remember not to leave the water on when its not needed!

My shopping arrived and I went a tad OTT with soap powder, cleaning goodies, more toothpastes, deodorants, feminine bits and pieces, will log tomorrow and put away. 8-)
Re soap powder. I use the cheapest Morrisons stuff and it's no different to any of the really expensive stuff I used before. You can buy a cupboard full for under £10.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

FEISTY wrote:
Decaff wrote:Good idea Nick! My gas is on a card system that I load up each month, can't cope with a big bill coming in. Advantage is you notice how much you are using and turn down the thermostat and tend to remember not to leave the water on when its not needed!

Re soap powder. I use the cheapest Morrisons stuff and it's no different to any of the really expensive stuff I used before. You can buy a cupboard full for under £10.
Hiya Feisty!! I wish I could use the cheaper ones but my skin will not allow me to!! I can only use Ariel powder and sometimes if my skin is behaving I can use the Sainsburys colour powder. Something in them that literally makes my skin feel like its crawling and I can quite easily rip my skin by the scratching that ensues, even three rinses in the machine doesn't seem to make a difference. I can however use any old fabric conditioner?! doesnt make sense to me but at least I can save money on that. I try to stock up on Ariel when it's on offer and it is at the moment so I now have myself 3 extra boxes of the 22 wash variety to add to my stocks. The cupboard smells lovely when you open it :P

I have a couple of boxes of dried cat food also, would you freeze this before storing?? I did have a problem with creatures in this type of cat food before but wasnt' sure if freezing it would make a difference to the food? I really don't want to take a chance of nasties getting in my kitchen again but at the same time I don't want to end up binning boxes of mogsplosh food!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Managed to buy a couple of trade items
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
jansman

Post by jansman »

Decaff. Try putting opened cat food in sealed plastic container/ biscuit tin or suchlike. No need to freeze it. We had a rodent problem some years ago in our pantry. The kids were not sealing cereals properly. A proper storage regime for ALL dry foodstuffs cures it. Hope that helps. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Decaff: Your Freeze-to-store regime is aimed at crawlies isn't it ?
I'd try freezing some (as in a couple of portions) of the current use scran and then trying to feed it to the Mogsplosh next week.

Junmist: Waddya get?

In my case:
Purging an old gas bottle for a 'project'.
Ditching the blade on my MT so its now EDC
Not spending money :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Decaff wrote:[ I wish I could use the cheaper ones but my skin will not allow me to!! I can only use Ariel powder and sometimes if my skin is behaving I can use the Sainsburys colour powder. Something in them that literally makes my skin feel like its crawling and I can quite easily rip my skin by the scratching that ensues, even three rinses in the machine doesn't seem to make a difference. I can however use any old fabric conditioner?! doesnt make sense to me but at least I can save money on that. I try to stock up on Ariel when it's on offer and it is at the moment so I now have myself 3 extra boxes of the 22 wash variety to add to my stocks. The cupboard smells lovely when you open it :P

I have a couple of boxes of dried cat food also, would you freeze this before storing?? I did have a problem with creatures in this type of cat food before but wasnt' sure if freezing it would make a difference to the food? I really don't want to take a chance of nasties getting in my kitchen again but at the same time I don't want to end up binning boxes of mogsplosh food!
Most soap powders are full of fillers and enzymes which cause the irritation. I cannot use Arial as it gives me Eczema. My daughter makes her own using green soap, washing soda and an oxygen bleach. She claims it works better than any shop bought product.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.