Salt

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
damaralenoire

Re: Salt

Post by damaralenoire »

I have never really thought about the storage of salt in my supplies as i really not a fan of it in my food etc but what salt should i consider storing because i still to this day dont know the difference between table salt and cooking salt and the only salt i do use in any of my cooking is Pink Himalyan Rock salt
AREA 12

“Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes.”
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Watched salt making on TV a month or so ago, not far from me!

http://Www.essex-family-history.co.uk. if link is pants look up salt making in Essex.

Www.maldonsalt.co.uk

Hope this helps.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

Hi all,
I've started adding salt to my supplies and was wondering how best to store it?
Thanks for your help.
Hasty
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Ahastyatom wrote:Hi all,
I've started adding salt to my supplies and was wondering how best to store it?
Thanks for your help.
Hasty
In a dry place......Don't use metal anywhere near it though, containers should be glass or ceramic with well fitting lids (I EDC salt in a small glass vial with a cork stopper )
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

I need to build my salt stock up. I mainly use pink salt as it has many minerals in it.. its also great for a asthma inhaler ( you can buy or make a inhaler for it) and inhaling has many other benefits as well. So need a good stock of that. Lucky its gone down in price the last few years.

Do you all buy normal table salt for your prep? If so will get a good stock of that in. Its cheap enough to buy bulk.
I vacuum pack pink for storage normally . table salt I will wrap in cling film and then black bags. anyone see a problem with that?
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

I have 16kg (4 x 1 gallon Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers) in a 5 gallon bucket. I have a few gaps I intend to fill with the small bags I got free with my order, but the 4th bag is stopping me put the lid on properly. There's enough room, but I didn't flatten the last bag out enough and it's too chunky. I may have to open and reseal. Learning from all my mistakes, but this is stopping me getting this bucket out and onto the lovely new Big Dug shelves in the garage. As soon as I have a moment to sort it out .... I'm on other things at the moment, so it'll be a long while before I consider storing any more salt. I think it's enough to be going on with, as I also have a store in the kitchen cupboard and we use very, very little anyway. I think my husband has realised what's going on :) and he doesn't seem too bothered. He's not usually bothered about anything as long as we're all happy :). The word prepping has not yet been mentioned and probably won't, ever.
CynicalSurvival

Post by CynicalSurvival »

Great videos on salt making. I also live near the sea (15 mins walk) so potential to make salt like that.

...but having said that, the weather is also pretty sh*t here in Scotland so I'd be lucky to get those tubs to sit and dehydrate in the sunshine. Also I guess the social situation will have to be pretty stable to do something like that in my garden (especially if it is a valuable tradeable) without it going missing... I guess I'll try to stock up at least 20kg.
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
Blackfriar

Post by Blackfriar »

We're stocking up on 25 KG sea salt. We're also getting some caster sugar.

As well as the good uses already mentioned it's good to have sugar and salt on hand for mixing up electrolyte solution, for those who have fallen ill or are just working hard and sweating.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

featherstick wrote:
grenfell wrote:I seem to recall that roman soldiers were sometimes paid in salt such was it's value. It has made me think I really should have more in store , it would make an excellent barter commodity.
Hence the word "salary".

You would need approx 1 cubic metre of gas to evaporate 1kg of seawater, which would leave you with 35 gms of salt. That's a huge amount of energy, available to us at the turn of a knob on our stoves currently, but extremely difficult to supply pre-industrial age. After some sort of ASE, salt-making would become important again, but a difficult, energy- and time-intensive undertaking.
That's fascinating

It also underlines just how necessary it is as a commodity
Knowledge is power
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Blackfriar wrote:We're stocking up on 25 KG sea salt. We're also getting some caster sugar.

As well as the good uses already mentioned it's good to have sugar and salt on hand for mixing up electrolyte solution, for those who have fallen ill or are just working hard and sweating.

Just buy a bag of normal granulated (cheaper) and grind it up, most machines now have grinders/mill attachments for this, keep grinding and you get icing sugar.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.