Kiwi plants on sale at Homebase

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
TwoDo

Kiwi plants on sale at Homebase

Post by TwoDo »

Homebase is selling off their stock of plants and have Kiwi plants on for £7 - had quite a few left when i was in - apparently there is not much interest. Also they have 6ft fruit trees (apple, pear, damson) in pots on for half price too ~£15.

I particularly like the idea of kiwis for food gardening in plain sight - kind of stealth gardening rather than guerrilla gardening. They look just like ivy to the casual eye and are quite prolific. These ones are of the type "Jenny" which is able to withstand UK winters and is self fertile.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit/fr ... /cww3363TM
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=600
featherstick

Re: Kiwi plants on sale at Homebase

Post by featherstick »

Thank you, we are getting around to planting some fruit trees so we shall go and have a look.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

We tried on Thursday and they'd sold out :(.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Did anyone buy a kiwi tree? I only ask because we've had one for four years in the green house and it's NEVER fruited. Nice leaves tho, and the branches...so not a total loss then :D
Knowledge is power
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I've got a Kiwi Vine outside. The var. is Issai. Do you know what variety you have Stasher? Some varieties have male and female plants and obviously need one of each to get fruit.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

it was a hybrid and supposed to fruit by itself, serves us right really for lowering our standards :(
Knowledge is power