Food safe IBC's in Devon/SW?

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Blackfriar

Food safe IBC's in Devon/SW?

Post by Blackfriar »

Hi all
I was wondering if anyone had an idea where to find used, guaranteed food-safe IBC's in the Devon area for potable water storage?

I've looked on Ebay but no luck, and national retailers want quite a bit of £££ for delivery.

If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it, cheers!

PS - I did think about getting 200L barrels, but the thought of storing them is a bit more problematic than one large square IBC. On the plus side, they would be more mobile which might be helpful. What do you think?
Briggs 2.0

Re: Food safe IBC's in Devon/SW?

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I've looked for IBCs myself and you're right, the shipping is the problem, plus you really have no guarantee of what's been in them. They may have been steam cleaned and look clean but have they really just been used for food grade contents and if not have they removed all traces of the previous contents. I'm not partial to printer's ink or sheep dip so I have steered clear of second use IBCs. You can get new IBCs delivered by Mole Valley Farmers. I think they sell for around £150.00. If you do have an MVF near you they have a good range of water tanks, starting with a potable grade plastic 200 litre screw top barrel for £18, which is the one I mostly use.

Once I've filtered my water for storage, I keep it in an Ecosure potable tank, they have a wide range of potable and non-potable tanks online.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

I've looked into this. It's not only what's been in them, it's what they've been made of. Many plastics will leach harmful chemicals into water in long-term storage. Of course, if I were faced with the immediate choice of die of thirst today or perhaps ingest some nasty chemicals which might make me sick in the future, it's obvious what I would choose, but if you can mitigate the risk in advance, you should.

We have a great spot for an IBC, but I just haven't squared my thoughts about storage and installation, or whether to use linked food-grade 200l barrels.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

featherstick wrote:I've looked into this. It's not only what's been in them, it's what they've been made of. Many plastics will leach harmful chemicals into water in long-term storage. Of course, if I were faced with the immediate choice of die of thirst today or perhaps ingest some nasty chemicals which might make me sick in the future, it's obvious what I would choose, but if you can mitigate the risk in advance, you should.

We have a great spot for an IBC, but I just haven't squared my thoughts about storage and installation, or whether to use linked food-grade 200l barrels.
You're right. It's a round peg in a square hole problem, there's a bit of wasted space using the 200 litre barrels. The upside is they are more portable, cost less and are easier to transport.
Blackfriar

Post by Blackfriar »

We have a great spot for a couple of stacked IBC's. With some caravan water hose and a 12v bilge pump it would really solve our water problem.

I managed to find someone on Ebay selling IBC's for a very good price - with the steel forklift frames. I asked if the previous contents were food, and also if containers themselves were food-grade.

He said they were indeed food safe, and he acquires them from a dairy. He also said he could supply the "certificates of conformity" if required.

Does anyone know what kind of data I should be looking for on these "CoC's"? Also, does anyone know of any markings/symbols on the IBC's themselves to determine if theyre food-grade or not? I'm thinking something along the lines of the numbered recycling symbols on household plastic containers. Obviously I would give them a good examination/scientific sniff test in person before buying - but as you mentioned, that is no guarantee.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a bit of free time and could pick them up soon if they're decent.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Maybe we can arrange a bulk buy. I'd be interested in a couple. You're in the SW. So am I.
Blackfriar

Post by Blackfriar »

Well I'll ask to have a look with these certificates of origin and will share them here first. He has quite a few so it might be possible to get a discount. I'll update you when I have something.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

If anyone is near Holsworthy here is one for sale

Edit: sold already
Blackfriar

Post by Blackfriar »

Unfortunately these IBC's, which are in very clean condition and cheap at £30, aren't what we're looking for.

The guy said they were used in a dairy parlor and food factory, and probably contained something like line cleaner, teat dip solution, etc. Not worth the risk IMO.

I'll keep looking and will let you know. Cheers.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:I've looked for IBCs myself and you're right, the shipping is the problem, plus you really have no guarantee of what's been in them. They may have been steam cleaned and look clean but have they really just been used for food grade contents and if not have they removed all traces of the previous contents. I'm not partial to printer's ink or sheep dip so I have steered clear of second use IBCs. You can get new IBCs delivered by Mole Valley Farmers. I think they sell for around £150.00. If you do have an MVF near you they have a good range of water tanks, starting with a potable grade plastic 200 litre screw top barrel for £18, which is the one I mostly use.

Once I've filtered my water for storage, I keep it in an Ecosure potable tank, they have a wide range of potable and non-potable tanks online.
Briggs, amongst the many prepping topics under consideration for the future (and having bought a book on it which made it sound very complicated :( and has temporarily scared me off), I looked at IBCs for holding fish, possibly in the garage, in an aquaponic system and they did seem very expensive, especially as the top would have to be removed somehow to make an open tank, but other options are equally or more expensive. I will make a note of Mole Valley Farmers just in case I do go down that route. Thanks for the tip.