What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
FEISTY

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by FEISTY »

Decaff - congrats on car :)!

Broached first (circumvented prepping) conversation with hubby yesterday and we talked about replacing our gas fire with a multi-fuel burner (the logistics of that are another matter). I also mentioned solar panels and he mentioned a small wind turbine (probably more useful than the solar panels in the West of Scotland). Slowly, slowly catchee monkey (or some such thing :)). Maslin pan arrived. Went for the Andrew James one which looked sturdier than the Kilner or non-branded versions. Looks great, but giving a wash and trial run with water on our induction hob. We have a wok in the "car boot" box my husband picked up for me which was supposed to work on induction, but doesn't. He can't find the receipt :(. Someone is going to get a £30 wok (we will tell them it's not going to work on induction) for next to nothing. Several 84l and 35l RU Boxes have gone out to garage shelving - I've either put them in black bin liners to keep the dust off and beasties away or wound cling film around where the lid meets the box. Our inherited greenhouse is collapsing and we're dismantling it. Old non-safety glass! Need to get base sorted for new one asap. The current one stands in a good spot, but can be seen from the road.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

FEISTY wrote:Decaff - congrats on car :)!

Broached first (circumvented prepping) conversation with hubby yesterday and we talked about replacing our gas fire with a multi-fuel burner (the logistics of that are another matter). I also mentioned solar panels and he mentioned a small wind turbine (probably more useful than the solar panels in the West of Scotland). Slowly, slowly catchee monkey (or some such thing :)). Maslin pan arrived. Went for the Andrew James one which looked sturdier than the Kilner or non-branded versions. Looks great, but giving a wash and trial run with water on our induction hob. We have a wok in the "car boot" box my husband picked up for me which was supposed to work on induction, but doesn't. He can't find the receipt :(. Someone is going to get a £30 wok (we will tell them it's not going to work on induction) for next to nothing. Several 84l and 35l RU Boxes have gone out to garage shelving - I've either put them in black bin liners to keep the dust off and beasties away or wound cling film around where the lid meets the box. Our inherited greenhouse is collapsing and we're dismantling it. Old non-safety glass! Need to get base sorted for new one asap. The current one stands in a good spot, but can be seen from the road.

Thank you!

I think you need a diffuser plate, then you can use the wok on induction hob?
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

Decaff wrote:
kizzie wrote:
Decaff wrote:Trying to cram 30 packets of quick oats into a kilner jar...its not happening!!! Will have to get a lock and lock box instead :roll:

I found a new-ish car yesterday 2006 reg with under 6000 miles on the clock, full service history, one done after 150 miles :shock: one older gentleman owner and its pristine inside and out!! He only used it to go to supermarket and local jaunts out, garaged too so not even a squashed insect on it!! My OCD was non existent sitting in it yesterday :lol: after some of the horrors I saw and refused to even get in this felt amazing! Feeling so relieved I can't express how grateful I feel. Picking it up tomorrow as its having an MOT and tax renewal free of charge! :D wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen the FSH with my own eyes. Big queue of potential buyers are going to be very upset that its gone tomorrow, they couldn't get there before closing yesterday and I snuck in 1 hour before closing time. It was meant to be. 8-)
Great find! Do you mean they are giving you money off for the Tax as only you can do your tax now, its not transferable anymore.

He paid the tax in my name using his company card, I have a printed receipt for it and everything. Amazing find!
That is wonderful. YAY You!
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Decaff wrote:
FEISTY wrote:Decaff - congrats on car :)!

Thank you!

I think you need a diffuser plate, then you can use the wok on induction hob?
They seem quite expensive, Decaff, with mixed reviews, and I think I would find it annoying to have the extra thing on the hob with other pots bubbling away too. Appreciate the suggestion though. I hadn't even known about diffuser plates. Will buy another wok on-line shortly, but make sure to check the induction hob credentials before I buy. On-line reviews definitely help. In the meantime I'm just doing stir-fries in a large frying pan. Works fine. Maybe I just like the more "authentic" feel to doing Chinese food in a wok LOL, but I can see me cooking a lot more Chinese style food in two pans on two burners if the SHTF. Rice in one, everything else in t'other. xx
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Feisty: Yule is coming, how about dropping This as a little hint to Himself
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

Been a busy day, even though we got up VERY late. 9 am!!!! I have been doing some stupid-early shifts though. Went to Asda and did a shop. Filled the gaps on the shelves too. We used to shop at Tesco, but by comparison to Asda they are so expensive.
Then this afternoon I took down the bean fences now the pods are all dried. Plenty of seed and beans for eating now. Also I have been gradually clearing out kit, stuff I bought years ago. Mainly bushcrafty stuff. A dozen years ago I had visions of SHTF and us living up in the woods! :lol: :lol: I soon got over that little fantasy. So I am getting shot of all that clobber to the local Scouts.
Now I am going to sort out my seed order for next season.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Feisty: Yule is coming, how about dropping This as a little hint to Himself
Heck, that's a bit of a monster :). Great idea if you want to invest in one of those gigantic bottles of propane as well, rather than wee bottles of butane? - yes, I've seen all the "they don't work if it's freezing" reviews and it's a worry coming into the winter :(. I will definitely consider it at some point and will look into it a bit more. I hope my hubby buys me something sparklier for Christmas though, although I think he is bemused at the things I am delighted with - the multi-head screwdriver was fab :). Great suggestion and alternative to camping stoves.
Tizzie

Post by Tizzie »

Mine was all medical. The 1st aid kit and the trauma kit from heinnie Haynes.
1234Alive

Post by 1234Alive »

Did a shop to get some stuff to test my new vac sealer.. I'm impressed with the how quickly it turns stuff into bricks :) . It evens seals mylar bags quite well.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

1234Alive wrote:Did a shop to get some stuff to test my new vac sealer.. I'm impressed with the how quickly it turns stuff into bricks :) . It evens seals mylar bags quite well.
That's good to know about the Mylar bags. I've been using the iron for that, but I often need the help of my daughter to hold the heavy (1 gallon bags) while wield the iron. I read the Mylar bags were too slippy. I got my "as new" sealer free from Freecycle (which gives me a warm glow) and I use it a fair bit for sealing things like chicken breasts for the freezer to stop them getting freezer burn. It's a handy piece of kit. :)