My bob/ghb 1st Aid Kit

Medical and Healthcare
Beetle1968

Re: My bob/ghb 1st Aid Kit

Post by Beetle1968 »

Personally I dumped suture kits & loctite years ago and went with stainless steel saftey pins, much easier to use and a lot safe too!
Quid non Resolutio!
Jimski

Post by Jimski »

Without dwelling on the subject and maybe telling you something you already know.......the butterfly stitches now retail under the name of 'Steri Strips', looks like 3M do a range, plenty around on Amazon, various medical supplies websites
pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

Beetle1968 wrote:Personally I dumped suture kits & loctite years ago and went with stainless steel saftey pins, much easier to use and a lot safe too!
I'm guessing you mean stainless steel safety pins for wound closure right? If it were me and I had no suture kits or glue, I'm thinking I would probably have duct tape in my bag. I'd rather cut thin steri-strips from duct tape and use that to close a wound rather than use safety pins. This is partly because safety pins are actually quite blunt with quite thick shafts, so there would be trauma to the tissues on inserting them (although I appreciate there would already be some kind of trauma to necessitate their use in the first place!). Also, at the risk of sounding wimpy, it would bloody hurt!

Personally I have actual sutures in a couple different materials/sizes and I think if you're able to use them it's worth carrying them around. I don't have proper local anaesthetic in my kit but the needles are so sharp and thin that the trauma (and associated pain) is much less.

Ideally if you're unable to stitch, then you'd have steri-strips. They're sterile and easy to remove in case of infection.
Beetle1968

Post by Beetle1968 »

Yes it would bloody hurt, as you say they are quite blunt & I'm not going to sharpen a bag full of SP's.
Stainless steel ones for sure, I can't sew that well but can point place a pin with my eyes closed lol

Might have to practice my sewing techniques some too just in case I wimp out. :o
Quid non Resolutio!