What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by jansman »

Just taken delivery of(another) bookcase. I have a lot of books. Although I have a Kindle, I still prefer paper, and let's face it , if SHTF books do not need fuel. Chap in our village made it for me and it has tidied the collection up perfectly. Great chippy is John.
Spent 4hours continuing my garden 're modelling' ( sorry to use such an Americanism), must have moved 1ton of concrete slabs. That is why when this is done, that is it. Although my growing space will be reduced my yields should not. The reason being that I will grow what is needed, rather than too much of one crop. I also extended and tidied my composting area, and set up a permanent rubbish -burning area. This will help with disposal if SHTF.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
MissPrep

Post by MissPrep »

Pre winter checks so have been testing my little gas cookers & heaters.
This caused me to realise a gaping hole in my preps as I'm definitely a bug in type of prepper.

Now awaiting the arrival of a couple of fire blankets, 2 little powder extinguishers & a 2 storey escape ladder.
Think that covers all my 'fire safety' basics (already have carbon monoxide detectors & smoke alarms) - do shout it out if I've forgotten anything.

I'm all prepped for Christmas too - tree up, last present wrapped & tagged today.
Now just have to survive the family visiting.
SHTF might be easier. :oops:
Waterbaby

Post by Waterbaby »

I've put some hooks in the ceiling behind a beam to hang some tea light lanterns from.
They're not taking up space now,and easy to get to in a powercut.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Bought 2 Colemans unleaded lanterns to go with my stove, just need to check and test them once they are collected.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

preparedsurrey wrote:Bought 2 Colemans unleaded lanterns to go with my stove, just need to check and test them once they are collected.

They are great (i have 3 )

i run them on this..

https://www.carspares.co.uk/catalogue/3 ... -5ltr.html

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94673
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

MissPrep wrote:
Now awaiting the arrival of a couple of fire blankets, 2 little powder extinguishers & a 2 storey escape ladder.
Escape ladder is a cracking idea. I wish I had a need for one!
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

MissPrep wrote:
Think that covers all my 'fire safety' basics (already have carbon monoxide detectors & smoke alarms) - do shout it out if I've forgotten anything.ps:

I've gone off dry powder having done a firefighting in the workplace course

Which you gone for ABC or BC type?

Its very messy.. Think opening all the windows on a windy day and throwing a bag of flour in the air...... Its corrosive to electronics and next to impossible to remove from soft furnishings

Much prefer AFFF foam and or wet chemical for the kitchen

These are ideal at home in my eyes

http://www.easyfiresafety.co.uk/store_d ... remax.html

MissPrep

Post by MissPrep »

I got an ABC powder one as it seemed the most general purpose & frankly I got confused by all the other ones.
How would I remember which one to go for when?
I have trouble remembering my own head some days.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

MissPrep wrote:I got an ABC powder one as it seemed the most general purpose & frankly I got confused by all the other ones.
How would I remember which one to go for when?
I have trouble remembering my own head some days.

See here...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9m8flnkNt8Y

Dry powder is also now "restricted to essential use" in the revised bs regs on selection and placement

http://forum.iosh.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&m=700089

ojiu0u4

Post by ojiu0u4 »

atomized foam would be what I would use as safe to use on electrical, burning liquid and burning paper / wood / material. I used to have an old hallon extinguisher in my first car (which was a shed fitted with rev counter, wide tyres and fog lights - you can guess my age lol). The extinguisher came in handy when the fuel in the carb / inlet manifold caught fire while driving to work. boom, one good squirt and heat and oxygen removed - fire out. hallon was always good in data centers as well for the computers without destroying them in the process, shame about the ozone problem. I also had a co2 extinguisher, which to be fair makes a fair old noise that might intimidate an intruder.

needless to say water and buring liquid. NO!!! Not unless you want to be engulfed in a burning fireball and super heated steam of skin melting death.

On a side note, I really dont get which master mind decided to change them all to red bottles, when I was at the chemical company where I was fire trained we had blue - powder, cream - foam, cream with big nossel - atomised foam, black - co2, red - water, green - hallon. It made sense you could assess the fire and isntally select the right extinguisher from its color, now some twot thinks its better to paint them all red and print it on the label what is inside it.
Area 9