What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by itsybitsy »

I finished filling up the half-size chest freezer that was very kindly given to me a few weeks ago. The bargains I have got are quite unbelievable. Waitrose is the way forward - they are the only supermarket in the UK whose tills still recognise the combination of multi-deals and price reductions. So as an example, mince is £4.99 for a 500g pack but is on offer at 3 for £10.00. The mince that is on offer for 3 for £10.00 has been reduced to £2.99 per pack as it's the last date to use by. When you go to the till, the mince is rung through at £2.99 per pack - total £9.00. You THEN get the £5.00 reduction on the special offer, making the mince £4.00 for 1.5kg. :mrgreen:

I also managed to get all my party food for Christmas soirees by employing the same tactics. It's all safely stashed away in my other freezer and it cost me next to nothing.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

My sawyer mini filter arrived just been to lidl and got 2 sets of galvanised steel shelving for storeroom

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... l&id=18907
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
hobo

Post by hobo »

Oooh, please do us a review if the mini sawyer, Andy!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

will do at some point dont want to wet it though (as it is fine to let freeze until its been wet then must be kept above freezing (its off in my car bag.....) ought to get another one at some point though ;)

http://sawyereurope.com/sp128

some vids in the link

wondering if it could be used as a gravity filter something like a 3L cola bottle with the base cut open stood upturned in say a vice or a work mate with the filter screwed onto the bottle. with a hose going to a clean container and rely on gravity to pull the water through..... even if its slow if it filters 3 litres over night thats 3 litres of clean water for the next day with very little effort....

but the 100,000 gallon life claim is very impressive

(i got life saver bottle but wasnt aware of the filter life span .... could get the best part of 4 of the sawyer filters for one life saver bottle cartridge and the life saver is only good for 4000l of water

http://www.lifesaversystems.com/lifesav ... IeJDTGsUmQ

however the lifesaver filters much much finer...

0.015microns vs 0.10 for the sawyer

hobo

Post by hobo »

Booked me and my family onto first aid half day course in February. :D
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Ordered another 84l Really Useful Box for the additional heating/lighting/cooking preps to go out onto the Big Dug shelving in the garage, plus a corded 'phone, which can be used in our bedroom, as a useful back-up in case the power goes out (as it did briefly today LOL!). Continuing to build prepping into daily life (the news continues to be quite disturbing). Still working on the multi-fuel burner, but can see hubby is not averse to replacing our gas fire with one if we can (the gas fire flue goes directly out of the wall - we have no chimney).
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

hobo wrote:Booked me and my family onto first aid half day course in February. :D

:D

it'll lead you into wanting to know more :mrgreen:
in my eyes the 3 day course i did only scratched the surface ;)

And the ambulance call centre worker still treated me like a idiot when i phoned when i stopped to assist an unconscious cyclist about 3 weeks back despite me telling her numerous times im a work place first aider .. trying to hold the phone and keep his head still was next to bloody impossible with the requests she was making... I had already done the primary and a limited secondary survey (due to wanting to keep him still) stopped the bleeding and got him wrapped up warm before i got on the phone (whilst all the time checking his breathing) Didn't put him in the recovery postion as he was maintaing his own air way was worried about his back and neck and he was beginning to come round.. when he came round he complained of a pain in his neck so i did the right thing..... but she really wasnt happy :evil:

pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Didn't put him in the recovery postion as he was maintaing his own air way was worried about his back and neck and he was beginning to come round.. when he came round he complained of a pain in his neck so i did the right thing..... but she really wasnt happy :evil:
Do they teach jaw thrust for maintaining the airway of a patient with need for neck immobilisation in first aid courses?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nope not in the first aid at work manual they did teach the newer recovery position which is intended to keep the spine from twisting but due to the position he was in it would have been impossible to do..

hobo

Post by hobo »

Thanks YA. I've done my basic first aid before and want to move up to more. The idea of doing it this time is to introduce the idea to my boys and OH.

Sounds like you did a cracking job on the cyclist. Good work!