Is it worth learning to shoot?

Homes and Retreats
Plymtom

Re: Is it worth learning to shoot?

Post by Plymtom »

I'm going to a fullbore club and going down the FAC route, but because it's fun, less physical effort for my daughter (who has CFS) than air rifles or archery/catapults which are also fun, but don't drop all thoughts of low power plinking on paper targets, the principle is the same (allright it wont kick like a long barrell magnum) for extra practice better spend £5 on 1000 BBs than £6-£10 on the cheapest of firearm ammo -.22LR the same goes for air rifles, mine wont become obsolete no matter what else is in the gun cabinet ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
prepperG

Post by prepperG »

I’ve posted advice to go to an open day before such as the one at Bisley in May/June but thought I would give an update to the post as times are changing.
A lot of clubs have a waiting list and only allow a few new members a year that do not have FAC’s, when applying to a club my advice is do not mention prepping. It is likely to result in your application being turned down. The home office have to be notified in advance of your details before an open day and will do checks to make sure you are not a prohibited person. Clubs are also receiving visits and training on how to spot someone suspicious as part of an anti-terrorist operation, clubs report anyone who does not fit the usual target shooter or vermin control type.
I would also suggest an alternative i.e. air rifle or bow for all prepers even those with FAC’s
My offer to provide safety training to fellow prepers is still open; I am in Hertfordshire but could travel if you have approved land or access to a range.
p.s i am a qualified instructor at a club.
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

Hi prepperG, forgive me if I am wrong but wouldnt somebody who had access to approved land or a range be considered to be safe to use a firearm already, unless of course they only owned the land or range and didnt shoot?
I am not saying that all people with licences are safe but that they would be considered safe so probably consider themselves safe as well.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Curious George wrote:Hi prepperG, forgive me if I am wrong but wouldnt somebody who had access to approved land or a range be considered to be safe to use a firearm already, unless of course they only owned the land or range and didnt shoot?
I am not saying that all people with licences are safe but that they would be considered safe so probably consider themselves safe as well.
It's not like a fishing licence or a TV one, there are stipulations as to what firearms you can use, where you can use them, and in case of hunting vermin control, which is and is not appropriate for the animal/bird in question.
Also a range is a supervised situation and the only place where firearms and ammunition are handled at the same time is at the firing position ( I do not open both safes at the same time, nor the ammo box until I am there) as such it's a different world to a shooter working on the land, they in theory at any rate have to be taking a different kind of care, should I venture into that world and I might, suddenly having land to shoot on is not going to get you approved for all the caliber's you have for target, I know that, most do, and I would start with air rifles on Rabbit or Pigeon and get someone who does already do that to show me the ropes so to speak, I suppose I am saying that I do not consider myself safe for every shooting purpose, but would learn properly each discipline, not go out and just do it, a lot of it is common sense, you could get a land rover on a driving licence, but could you drive it around 4 X 4 on rough ground without instruction.. I couldn't.

As for spotting the bad apples or nut jobs, if clubs don't already receive at least some sort advice then yes they should, we're British after all, "normal" can be difficult concept, that's probably why we have so many good inventors, to be able to spot the one's with real issues requires vigilance and a bit of training can only be a good thing, not only for clubs, but in general.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
prepperG

Post by prepperG »

There are many different shooting disciplines so someone who is skilled at one may be a novice in another. For example I am a complete novice with clay pidgin but train twice a week in self-defence, practical type shooting and target shooting with a scoped rifle from 50 to 900 yards. Being able to safely handle and operate a wide variety of firearms is a good skill to have. Being able to lie prone and target shoot is also very different to being able to patrol and live with a rifle. A prepper would benefit from training that may not be available to them at their local club.
My next aim is to learn archery as a backup.
ojiu0u4

Post by ojiu0u4 »

I have my springer and am on the local wait list to receive instruction from the club. Going at this another way, if we are looking at this from a food perspective, if I shoot a bunny with my non FAC 22 air rifle, I know there is bunny for the eating. If I shot it with a 22 FAC rimfire, is there any bunny left to eat.
Area 9
xfilion

Post by xfilion »

Yes.
tigs

Post by tigs »

whether its a fire arm , air rifle , crossbow,bow or sling shot learning to use them and shoot them correctly is always worth it and after learning to shoot them practice as much as you can , i served as a sniper for over 20 years all over the world, now after several years in civvies and not practicing anywhere near to what i did,i would be luck it make accurate shots at half the range i used to .
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
farnet

Post by farnet »

ojiu0u4 wrote:I have my springer and am on the local wait list to receive instruction from the club. Going at this another way, if we are looking at this from a food perspective, if I shoot a bunny with my non FAC 22 air rifle, I know there is bunny for the eating. If I shot it with a 22 FAC rimfire, is there any bunny left to eat.
You have to remembere that a .22 rimfire round is fairly small and will make a clean kill if shot in the head.

Don't get confused with the American tv shows that show massive holes in things after being shot, those would be high caliber or fragmentation rounds (or a shotgun at very close range), a standard subsonic 'CC' .22 rimfire round is neat and tidy..... But can still kill at 1.4km so treat it with respect.

General rule.... Shotguns you shoot into the air (Above the horizon), whereas rifles, you ALWAYS make sure you have a solid surface behind the target (below the horizon)
Area 6 bordering to area 8

'Time is a poison - too much of it and you die'
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

.22 rimfire on the left, .223 on the right....... Very important not to get the two confused ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar