What knives do you recomend?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Re: What knives do you recomend?

Post by jansman »

Erik wrote:for all you folks who always carry a knife...
familiarize yourself with current uk offensive weapons legislation.
in a nutshell, its not legal to carry ANY bladed article/knife/weapon in public without Good Reason in this country at present.
any knife at all with a locking blade is illegal in all circumstances.
in public includes in your bag or in your pocket, and the item does NOT have to be on public display.
this idea of Good Reason is a completely grey-area term that has no firm legal definition and is up to individual interpretation.
the whole thing is a complete shambles, but can be enforced at any time.
I was arrested 4yrs ago.I was witness to a serious assault.I was hauled in,don't ask,and searched.Swiss army knife and opinel in my pocket,along with led and maglight,lighter,and bandana.After being interviewed they realised they had the wrong bloke-but they still asked about the pocket knives.I told them they were used for gardening,diy,bike repairs,etc.They accepted that-or rather the CPS did.Don't like the police anymore.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
axelt123

Post by axelt123 »

Erik wrote:any knife at all with a locking blade is illegal in all circumstances.
Do you think an opinel knife would be ilegal as you can turn the metal to lock it?
Its only 2.5 inches
axel
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

I have a collection of handy knives, including one locking one.
My best working knives are the long, thin, fish filletting knives which I use in my work. My best multi purpose knife is an ancient Mora which holds a great edge and is the worse for wear but still going strong.
For skinning I have an american bought skinning blade with gut hook which is wickedly sharp but needs to be.
For fleshing I use an Alaskan Ulu blade with a reindeer handle. Beautiful, functional creature.
I`m a member of a large reenactment group though currently not `working` in it due to real life work pressures. I have a license to carry certain weapons, securely packed and covered, from home to a gig. This includes my crossbows, swords, axes and any knives deemed suitable for reenactment purposes of which I have a few, such as my Viking `domestic` knives.
Bournemouthprepper

Post by Bournemouthprepper »

#if your looking for a cheap, yet well made machete look no further!

If your after a full length for a mere 13 quid:

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop ... 18218.html

or a smaller, yet still very capable machete:

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/in ... 62&from=40
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

axelt123 wrote:
Erik wrote:any knife at all with a locking blade is illegal in all circumstances.
Do you think an opinel knife would be ilegal as you can turn the metal to lock it?
Its only 2.5 inches
axel
That makes them illegal as they are then a lock knife, take the ring off and it isn't
axelt123

Post by axelt123 »

the-gnole wrote:
axelt123 wrote:
Its only 2.5 inches
axel
That makes them illegal as they are then a lock knife, take the ring off and it isn't

Oh right i think ill be ok as i only have it on me when i have my work gear on so i have a good reason to have it as its for my safety (cutting climbing ropes if i have to do a rescue). I think if you have a good reason you can carry it.

axel
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Not necessarily, carrying to and from the work place could be deemed illegal as well, there are lots of places to check out the current laws, it seems a good idea to check them out rather than hope. Sad, yep it is, but a criminal record is with you for life. :shock:
axelt123

Post by axelt123 »

yes i will have to check, but i dont have a main place of work as the sites change every day. I think the fact i do carry a large hand saw in my bag most of the time might be an issue as well. Also im not quite 18 yet which would look good.

axel
jansman

Post by jansman »

axelt123 wrote:
Its only 2.5 inches
axel
As I understand the rules the knife would be deemed illegal if it locked AUTOMATICALLY on opening.An Opinel is not automatic
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

It then becomes a fixed blade rather than a lock knife I guess, Just try British Blades forums, or Bushcraft UK forums, they have several articles about the legal side of knives.

I have one of these

And several fixed bladers :shock: