New to prepping and wondering how many parents!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
preppingsu

Re: New to prepping and wondering how many parents!

Post by preppingsu »

You did exactly the right thing with that package.

It's all about situational awareness. Knowing what is going on around you. Looking for alternatives exits if a problem occurs. Next time you are in a big shopping centre (eg the Trafford centre) take note of emergency exits, staff only doors etc so you have escape routes.

Instead of a mobile why not carry a walkie talkie, you have one your partner has one. Just in case your phone is dead ( although make charging your phone a prepping necessity).

Be aware of the people around you. Long term think about avoiding the larger shopping areas if you can.

I try to avoid lifts now after watching 'Blackout' but that's hard to do if you have children in a buggy.

We all had to start somewhere with prepping.
k.d.w.v.

Post by k.d.w.v. »

Hi my sons 9 and understands why I prep , cos been preppered for anything is the way to go , he understand this for surfing , camping , prepping is no different , he understands I teach him things not included in school and seems to love it . My whole reason to prep is to protect them and where possible extract other family to safety too . The prep kits are useful for alsorts but the most important thing I think been a Prepper is our attitude which lends it's self to alsorts of normal day situations :)
warringtonmum88

Post by warringtonmum88 »

Hey once again thanks for all your great replies regarding the parcel incident!
On 11/1/15 in the same shopping centre there was a bomb threat, the place was locked down, police everywhere and a tactical unit...this time I was at home. Luckily no-one was injured and to my knowledge no active device was located. However it made me think about the incident I was involved with at the Christmas lights switch on at the end of November and I have to say I am pleased I had the common sense to locate security personnel...even if nothing came of it it just goes to show this is happening more and more often now.

Part of me wonders if the people leaving these items unattended are doing so because they enjoy seeing others panic!

I have been glued to the news regarding the Paris attacks and I have to say I am very impressed with the owner of the printworks who thought on his feet very, very quickly to hide a member of his staff for hours who was helping police by texting them information at regular intervals. Needless to say my phone is constantly plugged in whilst at home now so I know if I am out and about I have the use of a mobile phone like the man in hiding in the printworks. It didn't even occur to me to use walkie talkies while out and about, a very good idea! Thank you for that.

I have been helping my son understand why there's a cupboard full of food and water that he is not to touch...he is 8 next week and is interested a lot more now as he has been helping me with the winter/christmas/ice prep in recent weeks. I have told him that incase of an emergency this is important "stash" and will help us if we are stuck in the house for a few days/weeks. He was impressed that we can do this and not panic and in his words said "we are all prepared now".

Someone else posted saying to avoid lifts if you don't have a buggy...I no longer use my daughters buggy but she is on reins now so we are no longer at risk of being stuck in a lift and if necessary I can just pick her up and run.

I did many years of Jujitsu and in the female defence classes we were taught and reviewed weekly about being aware of your surroundings. On the way back from dropping children off at school or going to collect them alone I test myself by trying to remember detailed descriptions of people who walk past or car registrations that go past. It sounds silly but I know one day my memory skills might be tested in another incident and it will be vital plus it keeps my mind busy and it's all preparation for remembering things like exit locations etc.

I like the fire drill you did with your little one about banging and shouting, human/kiddy instinct would be too hide so teaching them the opposite at a young age is a great idea and this will definitely be something I use in our own household too. Thanks for the idea.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

The placing of unattended packages can be a dry run for the real thing. I am surprised that they lock down the area as I would have expected them to clear people away from the seat of the incident. Good on you wm88 for doing the right thing.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
cat72uk

Post by cat72uk »

hello and welcome
i have 2 boys 10 & 17 both have done forest school