USMC Kabar Knife

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Smudge

Re: USMC Kabar Knife

Post by Smudge »

If the kabar resembles any of his other knives you could be onto a winner if not I'd carry on looking.

I've had knives given too me and although I'm always grateful, they often end up in my sharps draw or a cache as a last ditch item.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

The KA Bar looks like a good knife, but ...

....guys like to get all technical and involved with things like that. If I decide I need a knife, I'll spend weeks researching, looking for reviews, comparing at various price points etc. If he's anything like me, while he'll appreciate the thought, it might not be exactly what he wants.

There was an article in the paper recently along the same lines - it concluded that if you're buying gadgets or kits for men, it's best to ask them what they want.

My tuppence' worth.
judicatr

Post by judicatr »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
I personally don't like serrations and have never understood why half serrated blades seem to have the jaggy-bitz right there :|
ForgeCorvus - I have a Desert Cruiser tactical folder that's back half serrated that I carry as a duty knife. The reason for the rear serrations is the rear of the knife blade is where you get a lot of brute cutting power and where deep cuts start. On some material having the serrations helps start the cut. For example, after an automobile crash I've used the rear of my serrated knife to start cuts in seat belts so that backboards and other medical intervention can be introduced without stuff getting in the way. It is possible to use non-serrated knives to do the same job but it just seems to start easier with the back serrations.

Be aware though that serrations are a bit more difficult to sharpen and I actually don't like them that much on general purpose field knife for that reason. But overall they aren't too bad. Its all about what you like I suppose.

The K-Bar is a bit big for me personally, but hell if you want a knife you can cut with, use as a pry bar, drop from an airplane, and run over with a tank, and still hold a decent edge- its the knife for you.

Anyway hope that clears up some confusion.

Cheers,
Your American Friend
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

I'd rather stick with a nice Mora. They're cheap, really well made and hold a wicked edge.
The thing with bloody great infantry knives is although they look nice, they pretty much never see any actual use that couldn't be tackled by something more appropriate.
I've still got a Gerber LMF 2 that I bought when they first came out, and I think it's now done more mileage than some airliners without having been used for anything useful.

You could use the £50 difference for more presents then...or perhaps beer. So much beer.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Lots of advice here Stasher.

And as you can see, knives are a very personal thing. So, it might be best if you get Alpha to give you a short list to pick from.

You picked a good knife though, he's a lucky bloke whatever you end up getting him.

I think I might have to start a "Serrations" thread though ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Wow!

Thank you all so much for your input. I think the points (geddit? :lol: ) are all excellent and I will ask him what he would really like, given a choice. It's a waste of money to buy him such an item if he's only going to shrug internally and put it on the shelf

Certainly 'to serrate or not to' is clearly highly personal!

Once more, thank you for this. I will go on a little hunt for alternatives and take it from there.

Stasher
Knowledge is power
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

HI STASHER, what did you get him in the end, I suspect something totally different. :P
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Stasher wrote:Certainly 'to serrate or not to' is clearly highly personal!
I don't like serrations, I have a few knives :roll: experience has proven that serrated ones get little use when you have a choice, unless we're talking kitchen devils :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Hamradioop wrote:HI STASHER, what did you get him in the end, I suspect something totally different. :P
Nothing as yet! :lol:

I did discuss the knife with him and the response was 'but I've got good knives' I pointed out that they were all knocking on a bit now and I would like to get him something he didn't actually 'need' but would like to have

The result? Lots of looking at different knives with someone saying 'it is nice, but it's a lot of money to spend when I don't actually need it' I have decided to ease off for the next couple of months and then when the garden imitates jungle I will make overtures again. Or maybe I should just get him a machete....... ..:lol:

I promise to give feedback when the decision is made! :D
Knowledge is power
jansman

Post by jansman »

If you are looking for a knife to do garden chores etc. then try looking at the Cold Steel Bushman. Cheap and tough as old boots. Indestructible.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.