What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
GinaCampbell

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by GinaCampbell »

I am saving up for a lifesaver cube now! Fantastic. I live under flightpaths and I would love to filter the rainwater successfully for drinking but was never sure how I was going to do this! yay
junmist

Post by junmist »

Opened a year and 3 months out of date 3in1 coffee sachet it was fine :D
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

junmist wrote:Opened a year and 3 months out of date 3in1 coffee sachet it was fine :D
I think there is a thread here somewhere that someone says they opened a tin of corned beef that was years old ans apart from not having much taste was perfectly ok and i read an article about the marmite factory and their main guy said that you could crack open a jar of marmite from 1945 and it would good to eat.
Use by/sell by dates are just a guide and a way to make us buy more, just smell the food, if it smells ok it usually is, or have a small taste it it tastes fine go for it, i hardly ever go on dates.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

My husband is works in an independent food shop. He told me that some items would last for much, much longer than their use by dates, and in fact would last much longer than the material they are packed in. So for some items, the use by date is actually related to the time the packaging would degrade rather than the product inside.
cumbrianish

Post by cumbrianish »

Use by dates are for high risk foods like cooked meat or dairy products, best before is a quality indicator nothing more than a guide from the manufacturer, sell by dates don't really mean anything to the consumer they are there for stock rotation.

Of the three I'm more likely to check use by dates than anything else
Forewarned is forearmed
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've just switched to Asda from Sainsbo for deliveries, and their tinned tatties, although 25% cheaper, have a best before date a year earlier than Sainsbo's. I'll carry on stocking up instore at Sainsbo, its the only one in walking distance, so I'll still be getting the longer term ones.

Otherwise, what I'm doing - trying to get the weeds down in the garden, harvesting tiny alpine strawbs (that I'm grubbing up) plus rhubarb, some rose petals and raspberries, and the elderflowers on the rec ground opposite me.

Anybody got a recipe for salsa verde that they like? I've got a lot of greenery to process, potentially - mint, chives, lemon balm, oregano, raspberry leaves ...
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

junmist wrote:Opened a year and 3 months out of date 3in1 coffee sachet it was fine :D
Try it with chocolate, it's even better! :lol:

Coffee, alpha male has gently mentioned that altho the coffee offer on at Discos is brilliant, we do have a six month stash already. I can't help myself, I had to buy it, oh and our fav toothpaste is also half price so also stocked up. Oil is a good price so topped up the tank. Apart from that all preps are garden focused with the growing season thrusting forward
Knowledge is power
junmist

Post by junmist »

emptied the cupboard under the sink in the bathroom and found two tubes of toothpaste both open ??? have know idea where they came from but I'm not going to argue
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Just keep on buying the odd extra tins of veg, Aldi ones, cheap and not a bad shelf life, and as have said before, with tinned stuff you can always open them long after the date, starting to up non food stuff, like matches, firelighters, para/aspirin type stuff, chain oil for saws, maybe more diesel and petrol, will see how pennies go, also start trying to put together 12 volt lawnmower generator.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Really looking forward to what you come up with on the generator DD. Keep us posted! :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon