Pen drive for EDC

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Deeps

Re: Pen drive for EDC

Post by Deeps »

I'm not sure its the right place but all the talk of passwords etc has reminded me that I've got my 'crib sheet' of bank card pins that I use, it could be enlarged or improved I'm sure but I use something like this, the numbers have been changed to protect the stoopid.

As long as you mind which order you do them in then you can leave it as a chit of paper in your wallet for credit cards etc that you don't use very often. I've only used it once when I 'needed' money to get even more squiffy abroad on a jolly, its a question of priorities. :D
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

If anybody is thinking of getting a new USB drive for the purpose, I have just bought one of these which seems good value.
64GB USB3 with microUSB £14.99 inc P&P I don't have a portable device that uses microUSB but could be useful to those that do:

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/kings ... source=tms
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

That looks really good that card. Have you tried yours on a mobile device? Does it recognise it and can you use it to exchange media files?
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

I've only tried it as an ordinary USB drive at the moment. If I can find someone with a recent Android phone then I'll give it a try.
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I watched a video on youtube and it looks the mutts nuts mate, back up photos directly from your phone. An android is pretty much a full powered computer (comparible spec to an old desktop I suppose) but it's deliberately limited to 'mobile' functionality. This is a step in the right direction!

I'm deffo upgrading my EDC pen now. Thanks for the tip!
Haggis2013

Post by Haggis2013 »

You may also want to look at getting a pen drive with Hiren's Boot CD on it. This allows you to boot a PC into a mobile version of Windows XP. Meaning that even if a PC is windows password locked you can still use it. It will even run on a machine with a faulty or no hard drive. It comes with a huge array of software than can then be run.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

That's a brilliant idea! Does it work on work computers too? The administrator locked ones? I wonder if there are any newer versions of windows that it will work on, I heard that XP a lot less useful these days since its not supported by microsoft. Also, I wonder if there is a version that might work with macs and linux - it seems to me that there must be a way of making it that versatile.

I'll be looking into this. There must be a way of adding that onto any pen as long as it's big and fast enough.
Haggis2013

Post by Haggis2013 »

You may be able to run HBCD on a work computer but if it is BIOS locked then you will not be able to change to boot order. The Windows XP OS is simply there to give you a familiar user interface with which access the software tools. It will work on any computer that can run windows or linux but Macs do not allow you to boot from a USB stick other than a copy of Mac OS so there is probably no way of making a similar software suite for them.