Antennas

filsgreen

Antennas

Post by filsgreen »

Hi

I need some advice on antennas please. I'm going to install it on the gable end of my house, due to limited access I'll have to hire a small cherry picker to put it up. Can anyone recommend an antenna that does not have to be trimmed or adjusted once it's up in the air? as I don't want to be hiring a cherry picker more than once. Also, I will be running the coax to my shed, which is about 50 feet away from the antenna, will this cause a problem?

Thanks

Phil
Hamradioop

Re: Antennas

Post by Hamradioop »

You do not mention what bands you require it for
so I am assuming it is for your handheld Radio.
for your needs a co linear should be fine some thing like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIGMA-X-30-UH ... 4aedd57726 which cover 2 meters and 70 centimeter ham bands.
you will also nesed 50 ohm coax cable |RG213 or better and a N type connector to attach it to the aerial and what ever connector is needed for your radio. here is a how to http://www.srgclub.org/Connector-Install.html

The aerial should not need to be touched once installed.

for coax try here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Rocket-Radio-L ... 7675.l2563 they have a good reputation the sell premade cable itted with PL 259 connectors so a suitable adaptor would be required. like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SO239-PL259-T ... 5af5b5f792
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

Thanks for your advice Hamradioloop.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Being ignorant of ham radio stuff do you need to check SWR or is that just a CB thing?
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

preparedsurrey wrote:Being ignorant of ham radio stuff do you need to check SWR or is that just a CB thing?
No, the colinear will already be tuned for the bands it was intended for.
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

I put an X50 on my gable end just over a month ago, it looks the same as the X30 just a bit bigger, a friend has an X510 which is a lot bigger, size matters... :D

Just make sure you use a good set of well made brackets, the K&T type are the common choice, held in place with some strong rawl bolts, & dont buy the cheapest pole either, better to pay a bit more for a light as possible but strong aluminium one.

As said RG213 cable is probably best & thats what I used after doing some research, it loses less power & has good shielding, its 9mm cable so is a bit harder to work with but better for the longer cable runs.

If you have only been using a handheld prior to installing your antenna as I was, you will be really impressed by how much your reception will improve.

All the best with your instalation, & be carefull with the cherry picker ! ;)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

Thanks for your advice Wingfoot. As I'm getting into the hobby I'm still researching so my next question is, although £20 is nothing for a Baofeng, would I be wiser putting it towards a better rig? Also, is the X50 just for 2 and 70 m? I suppose I'm trying to walk before I can crawl and I should wait until I visit my local club SADARC, to ask all these questions. I'm not getting the cherry picker now, they wanted £100 just to deliver it and pick it up. I'm thinking of Youngman scaffolding now, if not that I'll use a ladder to the accessible side of the gable end. I won't be able to put the pole at the apex, but I should be able to get about 35 feet in the air. Anyway thanks again guys for your input.

Phil
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Hi Phil

Mounting the pole a little lower is no bad thing, if its too high on the gable it can put quite a bit of pressure to it in high wind, you dont want the gable pulled over, if its lower down there are more courses of bricks above it to add stability, just increase the pole length to compensate, thats what I have done.

Nothing wrong with the Baofeng for the money, Im currently using one with my set up, adapters to fit detached antenna are easy to get on ebay.

The X50 is a duel band 2M & 70cm the same as the X30 is just a bit taller.

I am waiting till I get past the exam before buying a better rig, but I have my eye on the Yaesu FT817nd, its portable & I fancy getting up a few hilltops & trying a bit of S.O.T.A

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

Ok Wingfoot that's reassuring; I'll save my money and use ladders. Can you recommend a good accessory shop?

Phil
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

agree with hamradioop rocket radio is good mark who owns it is very helpful
also martin lynch and sons very large range also helpful
moon raker dont think ive known of one of their antennas getting out further than a coat hanger