If you had to start all over again...

How are you preparing
filsgreen

Re: If you had to start all over again...

Post by filsgreen »

Good point Decaff; I'll put them in a chilli, which will definitely kill the crappy taste.

Phil
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

filsgreen wrote:
Arzosah wrote:
metatron wrote:I'd probably be less of a cheapskate and invest in quality from the start and not upgrading as things failed.
Me too ... for everything, not just equipment, but food, weirdly. At the very beginning, I bought cheap stuff to store (Basics teabags, ug!) and now, I've taken to heart the whole "store what you eat, eat what you store" and rotate everything. I just didn't understand what that catchy little saying meant :)

I'd second your opinion Arzosah. I bought Tesco's own baked beans and thought I would rotate them....until I tried some. Now I'm going to just use them in an emergency and when they come to the end of their shelf life I'm going to bin them.

Phil
I don't generally have a problem with 'own brand', certainly not to the extent that I'd throw them out, as Decaff says, there's things you can do to 'sex' them up. Maybe my peasant origins are coming to the fore and I'm just easily pleased. :)
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Deeps wrote:
I don't generally have a problem with 'own brand', certainly not to the extent that I'd throw them out, as Decaff says, there's things you can do to 'sex' them up. Maybe my peasant origins are coming to the fore and I'm just easily pleased. :)
Mine was from desperation, they were the only beans my son would eat when small, he said all the other varieties were too sweet! I learnt to jush them up a bit :lol:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Decaff wrote:
Deeps wrote:
Mine was from desperation, they were the only beans my son would eat when small, he said all the other varieties were too sweet! I learnt to jush them up a bit :lol:
Funnily enough, beans are one of the things I'm a wee prince about, I buy the reduced salt/sugar ones, but I eat them all, saying that, I'm a fat greedy B'stard so no surprises there. :roll:
I've definitely started eating more crappy things since I started prepping, using the store what eat, eat what you store reasoning (which I think is flawless) I've started keeping things like cheap spaghetti hoops, beans with wee sausages, meatballs (none of them low salt/sugar, told you I'm a wee prince) and I eat them from time to time to 'justify' to myself hoarding them. If I was just going to store what I eat it would be tricky, even with dehydrator going 24/7 it would be hard. I've got plenty healthy stuff too though, its trying to balance the cost/practicality of my zombie stores. It all comes down to your budget I suppose but Heinz beans are very much 'aspirational' in Casa Deeps. :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Deeps wrote: I don't generally have a problem with 'own brand', certainly not to the extent that I'd throw them out, as Decaff says, there's things you can do to 'sex' them up. Maybe my peasant origins are coming to the fore and I'm just easily pleased. :)
Nor do I, usually, its just that some of the things in the very basic range are baaaaaaaaad - tea bags, toilet paper, jams that have a miniscule amount of fruit in, that sort of thing.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arzosah wrote:
Deeps wrote: I don't generally have a problem with 'own brand', certainly not to the extent that I'd throw them out, as Decaff says, there's things you can do to 'sex' them up. Maybe my peasant origins are coming to the fore and I'm just easily pleased. :)
Nor do I, usually, its just that some of the things in the very basic range are baaaaaaaaad - tea bags, toilet paper, jams that have a miniscule amount of fruit in, that sort of thing.
Thats a fair point, we'll all have things that we would compromise on and some that we wouldn't. Cheap jam is pretty gash, especially if you're used to home made. Cheap bogroll, well I suspect we'd all go for the deluxe stuff by choice. :lol:
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

I would not make the mistakes of some, just get what you need, heat light cooking and keep it to a minimum, going over there, if i was you i would forget the stuff we all get over here, i would get those big mountain house tins, about 20 and cut the space, i would always have a supply in of tins for illness or no money days, but i would never go overboard, just enough, it would be good to start again i think, look for a space, a closet or something.
SaintJimmy671

Post by SaintJimmy671 »

It'll definitely be a whole different kettle of fish prepping over there. As far as the non-B.O.B preps are concerned the order of things will be much the same - extra food each week, something to store water then move onto the pricier things if/when I can afford them and in whatever order that might be.
"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Mark Twain
judicatr

Post by judicatr »

SaintJimmy,

Welcome. What part of the country are you headed towards - prepping here depends on where you will be?

Your American Friend (and shortly neighbor)
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Like many. I would buy better quality even if it meant a little less for a wee while. My problem over cheap tinned food is that I might as well buy the cheap stuff of some things as we don't use them except for the stuff I lay in for prepping purposes. We prefer frozen veg and fruit if no fresh but I have tins laid in for a longer term event when freezing may be a problem, eventually I need to use them as nearing bbdate, or if I notice at least a month ahead I will sometimes give to foodbank which is something else you could do rather than bin them.