Hi from a newbie in Wales

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Fidshackle

Hi from a newbie in Wales

Post by Fidshackle »

Hi folks,

I've just joined the the forum so thought I'd better introduce myself. I don't think I've ever described myself as a "prepper" before, but that's pretty much how I live my life by necessity so I thought I'd have a look at the community. Actually, I think I may have skipped the prepping stage and went directly to the fringes of society in a rather unprepared fashion. I am 95% off-grid. The only reason I need to attach myself to a power station is to run my computer now and then without the sound of a clanky old diesel engine on for the duration.

By choice, I live a nomadic life with no fixed abode (or bank account, etc), which believe me is a pain in the backside in this country as most people treat you like a leaper when they know you're homeless, but on the plus side I don't have to put up with council tax, household bills, or living near neighbours. I'm certainly not an expert in bushcraft, but I do have a pretty varied skill set from electronics & radio to rope work and mountaineering, and I've done loads of wild camping whether it be on foot or motorbike. I do a bit of sea fishing and shooting (air rifle) when I get the chance, but I'd quite like to get in to woodland foraging and generally better prep myself for living more sustainably as I'm woefully rubbish at being lazy and nipping to the local supermarket for food.

I'm currently based in north wales, but who knows for how long. Perhaps the winter, though I literally no nobody around here and I'm missing conversation so a pre-christmas move to South Wales might be in my midst.

Fid
jansman

Re: Hi from a newbie in Wales

Post by jansman »

Welcome to uk preppers.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Hi Fid

Welcome to the forum, it would be very interesting to hear more about the challenges of living on a boat in a prolonged way around our costal waters as you are doing.

In a long term SHTF situation having the ability to skirt the coast while fishing & only coming ashore when absolutely necessary would be a great advantage one would think.

Also if your craft is large enough then the option to cross the channel & access europe & beyond without any of the issues facing those trying to do it by other means in a time of crisis is another plus.

I have often thought of getting a small sailing boat to expand my options, I look forward to reading more of your comments on the subject.

Maybe you should start a thread on the subject.

Cheers
Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Fidshackle

Post by Fidshackle »

Hi Wf,

Thank you. I shall put a post together for those that are interested. I could easily sail to Europe as she is now, but for ocean crossings any more adventurous than crossing the Bay of Biscay to get to the med would require a bit of additional fit out work for safety, but it'd certainly be feasible to sail this thing to another hemisphere if there was a pressing enough reason.
tigs

Post by tigs »

Welcome to the forum
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Welcome from South Wales.
Drakie79

Post by Drakie79 »

Hello and welcome.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Hello, good morning and Welcome to our on line community.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Happy-jack

Post by Happy-jack »

Hello and Welcome .. I will be moving to the Mountain's of North Wales in the new year.