Attacking the mortgage!

How are you preparing
Mr R

Attacking the mortgage!

Post by Mr R »

Now that I have decided to move (I will be 'downsizing') and have my emergency fund in place, I'm throwing any spare money at the mortgage.

It is a wonderful feeling seeing it finally reducing by a larger amount each month and having an end date.
jansman

Re: Attacking the mortgage!

Post by jansman »

Top lad! The best move you will ever make IMO.We threw everything at ours 4 years ago right down to our last fifty quid.Now we are free.Good luck and well done!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

Can't agree more. The feeling of freedom for us is huge.. Such a stress relief
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

A nice feeling seeing the total actually come down a decent amount every month, hope it works out quickly for you.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Good stuff!! Good luck to you and hope you get moved quickly which will also save you money as you're downsizing, less heating, less electricity etc etc!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

The best day is when you go in to collect your mortgage papers from the Bank.

I got mine in my hand, then told the bank manager to close my account.

Should of seen his face. :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Sparkyy

Post by Sparkyy »

Yeah best feeling ever paying it off getting the last house paid for was a lovely feeling and then we started again with this place :roll: still another couple of years and this will be done too then we can finally have a decent holiday again. I hate debt with a passion being self employed I hate having things hanging over me just in case I'm out of work broken leg etc etc getting sick insurance as self employed Id be able to pay another mortgage :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

That was why we nailed ours Sparky. I have never been in a job where I got enhanced sick pay, plus I knew I was going to get made redundant. It makes you feel secure. A couple of weeks ago I told the manager at work to stick his job up his ****! He was expecting ten hours a week in unpaid overtime. Stuff that! Not having a mortgage meant I could indulge in that glorious moment.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Sparkyy

Post by Sparkyy »

jansman wrote:That was why we nailed ours Sparky. I have never been in a job where I got enhanced sick pay, plus I knew I was going to get made redundant. It makes you feel secure. A couple of weeks ago I told the manager at work to stick his job up his ****! He was expecting ten hours a week in unpaid overtime. Stuff that! Not having a mortgage meant I could indulge in that glorious moment.

:D good for you it's a great feeling doing that it's how I ended up self employed my last boss was a bullying knob I quit by knocking on his nose and taking some of the contracts with me :oops: best move I ever made, taking on this place was a gamble but because we kept the other house we wouldn't be homeless if it all went wrong :lol: still were on the downward slope of the mortgage now but having 2 young kids has certainly slowed our overpayments :roll:

I hope you're sorted for work now but at least the main pressure is off and you can sit there knowing you own it nothing better than that and noticing the extra cash available although after a few months you wonder how you ever afforded a mortgage :D
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

Thanks for all of the positive comments.

I'm paying off another large amount next week and then further smaller chucks over the next year. I have reached that age where I more or less have everything that I NEED, so all spare cash is being thrown at this (there is no point in putting it in the bank with the current interest rate). I think that I may be able to get shot of it by Christmas, fingers crossed.