Troy oz silver coins

For all things financial
pseudonym

Re: Troy oz silver coins

Post by pseudonym »

I have some half troy ounce Buffalos and Walking Ladys.

For future ease of use; they have the details stamped on them.

In the scheme of things it's not a lot, but if TSHTF I wont under estimate the greed of some people when shiney stuff is involved. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Where do you buy yours?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Got mine a few years back from the channel isles IIRC.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
munchh

Post by munchh »

I have asked some of the sellers on ebay why their prices are so high, i know its cheeky, but its not like its not a straight question.
most were quite blunt, but some were very cool about it, there are a few sellers around the contry with actual shops, you can get all of the same for about 15% less than ebay, there is just a mark up every time there is a "handler" added.

one guy i spoke to has been doing it for some time, American eagles for £15 from a dealer selling for £25 or more on ebay.

so its good to shop around, these coins or rounds as they are called (being not currency) are only worth more than th actual price of silver because they have collectable value.

So i feel and its just my thoughts here, its a bit of a nonsence, silver is worth just under £10 an once 31g (this is july 2015), but if it is fashioned into a coin shape object it is worth between £13-17 depending how many of that pressing is made, the less they make the more they are collectable and the higher price they will command.

i am still quite astonished that an ingot is not really much cheaper, i have found that what they call seconds can be had a few quid cheaper and if you are just worried about the amount of silver you have, that is the better way to buy it, also seconds in my eyes are more collectable, like the 1993 20p peice that managed to get stamped without a date, they sell for £10 or more because of the mistake!

So my conclusion, you are never just buying silver, you are buying a silver shaped object and depending on what shape and how many of that shape they make will depend on it price, but in a SHTF situation, im not sure the collectable aspect will matter too much, when you need food the person with it is not going to be bothered that they onlt pressed 80,000 of these pandas in 2009, it wont matter, its just an ounce of silver.
on the other hand if you want to put a nest egg together for your kids or a rainy day, buy older pressings so 2005 pandas not 2015 pandas/eagals/britanias as they will be worth more the older they get, it is never going to be just about weight until a SHTF happens.
AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
munchh

Post by munchh »

http://kcent247.hubpages.com/hub/Check-your-UK-change

this is quite interesting too about certain coins we use now like that 20p i mentioned.

also when you are going round the bootys remember pre 1920 british coins are 92.5% silver so are just the same as 925 jewelry and between 1920-1946 are 50% silver 1947 onward have no silver at all. If you are atall interested in copper, our copper coins changed to steel copper covered at some point and you can tell which is which with a magnet.
AREA 3
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

I have some silver bullets saved up, just in case Mrs H gets out on a full moon again :lol:

I really do have some silver bullets though, it was one of those impulse buys, they're .45 ACP and .999 silver. They're a Troy ounce and I think I paid £12 a go.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

There's some interesting info on this thread - could a mod please move it over to the new Finance section?

Thank you :)
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Arzosah wrote:There's some interesting info on this thread - could a mod please move it over to the new Finance section?

Thank you :)
Done. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Brambles wrote:
Done. :)
Ta muchly :)
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Holomon wrote:I have some silver bullets saved up, just in case Mrs H gets out on a full moon again :lol:

I really do have some silver bullets though, it was one of those impulse buys, they're .45 ACP and .999 silver. They're a Troy ounce and I think I paid £12 a go.
Random question do you need a FAC to purchase/ store silver bullets?

Obviously a lycanthrope invasion is right up there with the Zombies in my list of things to worry about;)

Edit - a bit of googling seems to suggest they are just lumps of silver in the shape of a bullet - sorry for being thick I thought people might actually sell live ones.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....