Sterile needles and syringes

Medical and Healthcare
Lanky Yankee

Re: Sterile needles and syringes

Post by Lanky Yankee »

I'm going through all the ambulance and cars on station looking for expired kit. I've got syringes and needles coming out my ears at the moment. The prepper in me just can't bin then but I'm running out of room. I already have a massive supply of medical kit.
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Lanky Yankee wrote:I'm going through all the ambulance and cars on station looking for expired kit. I've got syringes and needles coming out my ears at the moment. The prepper in me just can't bin then but I'm running out of room. I already have a massive supply of medical kit.
Does anyone know you are a medic? Could all come in handy if SHTF if people know who you are in your area I suppose!

I know it is worth having the kit as I know I should be able to get old of the drugs if needa be in SHTF scenario. Plenty of supply around jus have to get in to get it with all the other outlaws! ;)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Lanky Yankee wrote:I'm going through all the ambulance and cars on station looking for expired kit. I've got syringes and needles coming out my ears at the moment. The prepper in me just can't bin then but I'm running out of room. I already have a massive supply of medical kit.

The look on a senior nurses face when I wound up in our local miu left sat in a chair for an hour I noticed a few bits of expired kit and pointed it out she binned the lot then called for others on shift to check other kit on the shelves as " someone's not doing their job" I got a thank you for pointing it out :o
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

ParamedicPrepper wrote:Does anyone know you are a medic? Could all come in handy if SHTF if people know who you are in your area I suppose!
Yes my neighbours know me well. My housing estate has loads of emergency service personnel as well so I reckon we will be able to have a nice little community if SHTF.
Appin

Post by Appin »

You can buy a lot without restriction. Problem is the minimum amount is often totally over the top. A box of 100 21G ( Green hub) needles is more than most people will ever need.

One option is to buy a foreign travel kit

SP Services do one.

https://www.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand ... 683_1.html

Or Nomad kit

http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/p/12569/Mo ... edical-Kit

or Evaq8

http://evaq8.co.uk/OVERSEAS-MEDICAL-KIT ... ables.html

If you browse the SP Services site you will see what else can be purchased. However, the shelf life is not great.

Regards

Appin
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Appin wrote:You can buy a lot without restriction. Problem is the minimum amount is often totally over the top. A box of 100 21G ( Green hub) needles is more than most people will ever need.

One option is to buy a foreign travel kit

SP Services do one.

https://www.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand ... 683_1.html

Or Nomad kit

http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/p/12569/Mo ... edical-Kit

or Evaq8

http://evaq8.co.uk/OVERSEAS-MEDICAL-KIT ... ables.html

If you browse the SP Services site you will see what else can be purchased. However, the shelf life is not great.

Regards

Appin
All good kits but on high price side for what you get don't you think?
Appin

Post by Appin »

You get what you pay for.

The SP kit is pricey. If you buy the cannulae and giving set separately then they will cost between 6 and 10 pounds. Remember there are different types of cannulae and giving sets so you need to decide price versus function. A blood giving set can give saline but a solution set cannot give blood - the blood set costs more. Ported cannulae are the norm but quality varies.

The Evaq8 pack is cheaper and has a full range. Both are really designed for taking on holiday so you can give to to a local doc to use on you and be sure you get proper kit.

The Nomad pack includes a bunch of antibiotics that you get legitimately ( and therefore know it is not fake stuff) .

Azithromycin 4 tabs are £10

Clarithromycin 14 tabs are £6

A 10cm x 10cm burn dressing will be about £4.50

Single Mersilk suture £ 4.30 or a single mono filament is £1.30.

These prices are inc VAT but wholesale not retail nor including dispensing costs. So for the Nomad pack probably over quarter of the price is those two drugs alone.

If I have time I will add up the total cost. I agree it is pricey and in terms of cost and benefit versus likely need to use you might well be better off spending your money on other things.

Regards

Appin
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

ParamedicPrepper wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:I have a few sets of needles and giving sets. If your keeping stuff like this it's the fluids you need to worry about the dates on, saline, ringers lactate, or my favorite hartmanns solution (it's the one we used to use) there are differences between them but nothing major from our point of view.

For those who don't know these are used to replace blood volume in a "leaking" patient (bleeding) ;)
The body uses red cells to carry oxygen around, it has excess cells for when we exert ourselves. Provided the blood volume is maintained the "spare" haemoglobin is able to carry the oxygen around and keep a resting person alive (I'm told about 1/3 of the original haemoglobin will do the job)
Obviously if the person keeps bleeding out eventually they'll reach a point where theres insufficent oxygen getting around, at that point BVE's (blood volume expanders) are not enough and you need proper whole blood or the patient will die
Are you a medic or doctor/nurse sniper55?
I'm an ex medic and ex ambulance driver. Still trained on defib and med gasses etc.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Anybody seen the new needles with the built in sharps cover? Sort of a fold over plastic thing. I can't find any pics online and I don't have any. Saw them in the hospital yesterday, should have asked who made them.
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

Never ever ever recap a syringe! That s how needlestick injuries occur