Woodland use

How are you preparing
Beatts

Woodland use

Post by Beatts »

Hi,

I've just found out this week that my uncle bought a section of woodland a few years back and doesn't really use it. It's about 5 miles from my house and is around 15 acres. He said I can take a copy of his key (as there is a locked gate to access the wood by dirt track through other woods) and that I can use at my leisure.

I'm sure this would come in useful from a prepping point of view but I'm not sure how I could utilise it best.

Any ideas or thoughts ?

Thanks
pseudonym

Re: Woodland use

Post by pseudonym »

First tell no one... :mrgreen:

My dream TBH.

Is there a covenant to ownership?

You'll need to take a few months mapping fauna and flora, to find out what species you have, is there a water source/stream? Purity?

How much clearing will he allow? Wood supply for your/his stove? Shelter building permission.

Most of all get out and use it. :P
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Beatts

Post by Beatts »

Hi,

I don't think there is any strict covenant or guidelines. He's not allowed to build a permanent house on the land but he can have a temporary building. He currently has a shed in it which houses a quad bike and a load of tools.

The woodland was always a private wood and not part of the national forest or whatever so the restrictions you get from those guys don't apply here. Nobody checks on the land whatsoever.

I haven't really had a good look but I think there is a small stream not too far away but there is definitely a big reservoir approx 1.5miles from the wood.

Yeah I was going to keep the location a secret, just for me and my son to explore.

I'll make a note of flore and fauna and the various fungi etc as you suggested.

I'm going to have a proper look there next weekend.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I hate you [/green eyed monster] :lol:

You do know that a lot of preppers and nearly every bushcrafter in the country would sell a kidney to be where you are now.

Have a mooch round and see what you've got to play with.

I don't suppose you're in Norfolk ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I think a sit down and have a good long talk with your uncle is the first step. He is after all the owner and you should respect his wishes. What is he happy with and what is he not ? For example he may be ok with you camping there but be totally against you bringing a load of mates with you. How much working on the area would he be happy with in regards to clearing , coppicing , replanting or general forest management ? I personally would like to use such a piece of land brought into productive use as such areas were many years ago. However, such a venture would be dependant on how much time you have available to invest.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Be careful as a lot of woods being divided up and sold have a 'quiet enjoyment only' clause which basically means all you can do is sit there and think about stuff - no rough shooting, coppicing motorcycling, chainsaws etc...
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

It would be great to learn and practice bushcraft skills in a proper environment. An urban back garden with visitors popping in and curious neighbours doesn't really make the grade! A private woodland would give you the chance to really get a proper feel for it.

I'm with the other posters in going slightly green :D
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Beatts

Post by Beatts »

Sorry, I'm genuinely not trying to get people jealous I was just looking for ideas. I know I am very lucky in this respect. The woodland is in the County Durham area but that's all I will say.

I'm 44 so I'm certainly not going to be taking my mates there to get pissed up. I might have the odd BBQ with the wife but that'll be about it.

I understand what some people are saying about chainsaws and motorbikes etc. I think it's a case of everything in moderation in this stretch of woods. I will speak to him about whether or not he has been asked to manage the area but the fact he purchased it as an investment and has hardly been makes me think perhaps not.

I doubt very much he would mind me clearing a small area but of course I will clear this with him beforehand.

I think the first things I will do is make a small shelter and a fire pit area, then have a mooch about to see what trees are inhabiting the place etc that kind of thing.

I know he had chopped down and seasoned a lot of wood for his woodburner in the early days of acquiring the land but other than that I don't think he's done much else.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hope you have many happy memories in there.

I know I have a few of my own with friends in woods in the UK and in Norway.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Another one with a hint of green here :lol: .

Have you thought of putting in a Perennial Forest Garden in a small part of it? Here's a few linkies.

https://www.agroforestry.co.uk/

https://scottishforestgarden.wordpress.com/

http://www.lowimpact.org/lowimpact-topi ... gardening/

You could also add some native fruit and nut trees and an assortment of wild edibles and you have a fantastic resource that could possibly feed you year round for very little effort.
If it doesn't have any I would also look into digging a well and making a gravity filter, makes staying there easier.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon