Omnia Stove Top Oven

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Silent witness

Omnia Stove Top Oven

Post by Silent witness »

I have recently been looking at a longer term survival scenario and was wondering if anyone had any ideas regarding the use of a stove top oven such as the Omnia? I am aware that baking can be achieved in a Dutch oven but it does have its disadvantages. For one the weight of the pot is rather off putting for carrying it around and also the baked produce often has soft crusts and is rather pale as the steam can not escape. Bread is a fairly staple part of our diet and to be able to bake a fresh loaf on the move is appealing. I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions, thanks
Decaff

Re: Omnia Stove Top Oven

Post by Decaff »

Looks good, reading some reviews on it, it sounds like you will get tasty bread!

I liked the look of the camping oven shown below this also on Amazon.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Silent witness

Post by Silent witness »

Thanks Decaff! It did look like a good option! I know in a survival situation that we should be focused on necessities rather than luxuries but with 2 children to consider I am always trying to find ways to make the essentials more palatable. When in a SHTF situation I think a few home comforts can go a long way in helping to maintain good group morale as well as sustaining us with the calories we need to survive. I'll have a look at the camping oven on Amazon, thanks :D
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I hadn't heard of the Omnia but looking at the reviews, it looks like a clever and useful bit of kit. I wouldn't mind having a go with one to see how it performs.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

whenfires wrote:I hadn't heard of the Omnia but looking at the reviews, it looks like a clever and useful bit of kit. I wouldn't mind having a go with one to see how it performs.
Its news to me too and I'm trying to weigh up if I can 'justify' getting one. Her Maj does bake bread and rolls and it fits in with my ethos of trying to keep life as normal as possible in the event of some breakdown. Its the price/usefulness factor that means it will make my 'to get' list but it won't be at the top, I can't see us using it unless its an 'emergency'.
defender130

Omnia Stove Top Oven

Post by defender130 »

Looks interesting but we already have a Coleman stove top oven, sadly no longer available in the UK

Did manage to bring ourselves a spare one back from the U.S. last year though just incase

Also have a Cobb which we have done full roast chicken dinner in before now along with a load of roast veg and if you get the cheap copy of the Cobb blocks from home bargains you can build a decent supply of fuel for it or just use normal charcoal if need be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

If it's bread you're after, here's a dead simple and easy recipe which need minimal kit:

250gm plain flour, 250gm strong white bread or wholemeal flour
325ml warm water
1.5 tsp yeast
tbsp. oil
pinch salt

Mix and knead for 10 minutes
leave to rise until 2x size
Knead for 5 mins
Using floured rolling pin, roll into chapattis/naan/flatbread
Dry-fry in a pan on the stove top

Little ones will love being involved in all stages and eating it.

You're welcome!
Silent witness

Post by Silent witness »

Thanks Featherstick! I have experimented with flat breads and you're right they do make a great alternative to a baked loaf. I am maybe over complicating things and as usual getting tempted into buying new kit I don't really need.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Silent witness wrote:Thanks Featherstick! I have experimented with flat breads and you're right they do make a great alternative to a baked loaf. I am maybe over complicating things and as usual getting tempted into buying new kit I don't really need.

Well, there's similar on ebay for a tenner, and if you visit Spain you can get them in the Ferreteria for about ten quid as well.
munchh

Post by munchh »

featherstick wrote:
Silent witness wrote:Thanks Featherstick! I have experimented with flat breads and you're right they do make a great alternative to a baked loaf. I am maybe over complicating things and as usual getting tempted into buying new kit I don't really need.

Well, there's similar on ebay for a tenner, and if you visit Spain you can get them in the Ferreteria for about ten quid as well.
What are you seeing on ebay i cant find anything like it?

i like the idea of this and the colemane pack down oven but it seems there is no market for them here :cry:

if you look in a local imporium or west indian shop you can get aluminium dutch ovens?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.