Wound powder for humans

Medical and Healthcare
Jamesey1981

Re: Wound powder for humans

Post by Jamesey1981 »

It was pretty grim for sure, I never want to have to go through something like that again and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I was one of the lucky ones, I just had a few scrapes and some hearing damage from the crash itself, but I did need a few stitches from hitting my head after it, I blacked out when it was all calming down and the emergency services were on scene in numbers, the smoke and stress had got to me a bit, and when I ran out of adrenaline my legs turned to jelly and I dropped, woke up in the back of an ambulance.
Really don't know how the people that deal with things like that for a living do it, I'm sure the training helps to a degree but there's only so much that it can prepare you for.
The fact that I was able to help people helped me deal with it afterwards I think, can't take much credit for it though, it wasn't a conscious decision, I just did it, some of the others that I recognised from the event at the enquiry said the same, it's just down to the way your brain works I think.
It was the Ladbroke Grove crash if you remember that one, I was on the Thames train that went through the red signal.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Mon May 02, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

At work we use Chito gauze and blast dressings.

https://www.prometheusmedical.co.uk/equ ... uze-xr-pro

https://www.prometheusmedical.co.uk/equ ... ar-bandage

The gauze works much better as it can be removed where as with powder it needs to be cleaned out. They stay in date for a good 5-7 years, so easy to have in a bag. I was never a fan of the powders and in a SHTF situation they would cause a major problem if the patient needs to have a wound closed. Pressure on the site is usually good enough, even in big wounds.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Celox gauze is what we use in the forces, no training necessary really. It is however quite expensive.

For larger oozing wounds as opposed to arterial /venous bleeds. Not to be used on exposed organs. Pack it in nice and tight, bandage on top.

You can also get the granules which you can pour in to deeper wounds, then gauze, then bandage.

Can be used for amputation - stump management. Tourniquet on above/below joint, celox on stump, bandage on top.

Kwikclot, is another agent that does a similar job but, as I understand it, generates heat and can affect the eyes.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Thanks for all the info, am away at the moment, will be getting something for my 1st aid kit when I get back
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Quick clot , tourniquets , field dressings , Major trauma packs .
All great ,fantastic of you know how to use them , however if there is no paramedic , a&e department after it your toast.

Basic first aid .
Apply direct pressure
Raise the wound above heart
Pressure on pulse points

Can all be effective
Wee article on clotting agents

http://thesurvivalmom.com/the-case-against-quikclot/

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Hmmm the stuff I've used before on animals (and my OH used growing in the Middle East) is more a powder you put on a clean wound then leave it, you wouldn't be fetching it off again till it falls off?
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
junmist

Post by junmist »

Yarrow After cleaning the wound crush a few yarrow leave and apply to the wound it has antiseptic property's it will help stop the bleeding and heal the wound much faster leave on wound for 10/15 minutes or wrap it in a bandge but be warned it may stick to the wound.
Information taken from this site

http://susangaer.com/studentprojects/bleeding.html

think you will have to type it in but some interesting remedies
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

I have a QuickClot Trauma Pak, has instructions and everything you need in the bag. The bag can also be used to treat sucking chest wounds (includes duct tape and instructions)