Vaseline pocket sized tins...?

How are you preparing
TheWolfXX

Vaseline pocket sized tins...?

Post by TheWolfXX »

I've recently acquired a small number of the small pocket sized tins (pictured with post) and I'm actually struggling to find uses for these handy little tins beyond acting as matchboxes (which if cut to size they hold an impressive amount of matches and striker) or small boxes for dry tinder.

I'm certain there are more uses for these little tins but I'll be damned if I can think of them lol, thus here we are. If anyone has any thoughts, ideas or previous experience with these little guys would be awesome.
Attachments
vaselinetins.jpg
Sun Tzu - "[01.19] Many calculations mean victory; few calculations mean no victory; then how much worse when there are no calculations? From this perspective I can clearly predict victory or defeat."
SSdaddy

Re: Vaseline pocket sized tins...?

Post by SSdaddy »

First thought was candles. Melt down any old remnants of candles you can find and put a bit of cotton in for the wick.

Store herbs and spices for short trips? A bit of electrical tape should help keep it together and avoid water ingress.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

If you shoot then buy cheap sponges from the pound shop, cut them to size and glue them in, I used Pritt stick, then you have a tin for storing pre sorted spare air rifle pellets that don't rattle and don't get squashed or deformed for when you're out hunting, you can get little pellet pouches but I've found that the softer pellets like air arms field (that I use for everything) get squashed and damaged and then they don't shoot straight. I actually use Lidl sugar free mini mint tins for it as I keep them in my car (the mints, not air rifle pellets) so have a ready supply of them, but the Vaseline ones are about the same size and would work just as well.
Added bonus is that if your hands are cold and you drop your tin you only lose or ruin a few pellets rather than whatever is left in your box of 500!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

SSdaddy wrote:First thought was candles. Melt down any old remnants of candles you can find and put a bit of cotton in for the wick.

Store herbs and spices for short trips? A bit of electrical tape should help keep it together and avoid water ingress.
I've got a small triangular plastic and rubber condiment carrier, 3 small sections, I put salt, pepper and chilli powder in, I've had a quick scoot around the internet to see if I can find them, nope. :( There are other hill walking type condiment holders though, I've got something similar to this for camping as opposed to more serious walking (not that I really do it now).

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/gsi-outdoor ... ck-p263282

I have to stop myself holding on to small tins and containers like the one in the OP, I always think I can find a use for them but rarely do. I'm looking forward to some more suggestions.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Deeps wrote:
SSdaddy wrote:First thought was candles. Melt down any old remnants of candles you can find and put a bit of cotton in for the wick.

I've got a small triangular plastic and rubber condiment carrier, 3 small sections, I put salt, pepper and chilli powder in, I've had a quick scoot around the internet to see if I can find them, nope. :( There are other hill walking type condiment holders though, I've got something similar to this for camping as opposed to more serious walking (not that I really do it now).

I have to stop myself holding on to small tins and containers like the one in the OP, I always think I can find a use for them but rarely do. I'm looking forward to some more suggestions.
Is it one of these ones?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/181836904476

Link posted for illustration purposes, I haven't checked if that's the best price.

I personally use a little double ended shaker that's kind of like a tic tac box, probably not as strong as those ones though but as it lives in a pouch that doesn't matter to me, had it ages and not broken it yet.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
Deeps wrote:

Is it one of these ones?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/181836904476

Link posted for illustration purposes, I haven't checked if that's the best price.

I personally use a little double ended shaker that's kind of like a tic tac box, probably not as strong as those ones though but as it lives in a pouch that doesn't matter to me, had it ages and not broken it yet.
That's the badger, I got a couple in a closing down sale and gave one away, I've been keeping an eye out for a second to put some curry making spices in. I've tried the 'hour glass' looking ones, and managed to damage one of the lids, they're cheap enough to buy. I'll have a better idea of what to look for now cheers.
TheWolfXX

Post by TheWolfXX »

I must admit I hadn't thought of air gun pellets (this item is out of bounds for me until the SHTF) and I already make my own candles (the paraffin acts double as lubricant for wood screws as does the bees wax although I'm not sure I'd trust the honey not to attract moisture) which these would be far too small for :( . They would make cute little tea lights but such things burn far too quickly especially after one or two recycles, even adding fresh/new bees wax and paraffin (if someone has found a cheap effective solution to this I would be greatly apprciative of such solutions).

I too use the lidl mints tins for a range of uses from holding screws to a decent candle base but these are remarkably smaller and due to the fiddly nature of sealing them I've found a alloy (?) of bees wax and melted plastic is awesome. Breaks away clean and easily.

The true problem is that unlike the lidls tins these are not an occasional treat but a near constant year round treatment accumulation. We buy a lot and use a lot; with stock piling usually resulting in vast quantities of half full tins lying around that I usually collate into full tins but then find that I'm making far more emergency match boxes than I could actually possibly need (only have 50 atm but I recently gave a few away to reduce the number and will remember to offer here next time I'm due a clean out).

Condiments are a brilliant idea that I hadn't yet considered, through sheer personal ignorance: I don't use them owing to a lack of taste but my partner does and she rarely sees any benefit to me doing what I do thus it's a brilliant idea to spring next time we go camping. Would certainly give a way of carrying butter/marg, jam, etc, for crackers, crumpets and other such.

Thanks guys! you've given me food for thought most definitely, and now you've probably learned far too much about me... Imma go pass out before this cold and my insistence on sorting my garden decides my end is nigh.
Sun Tzu - "[01.19] Many calculations mean victory; few calculations mean no victory; then how much worse when there are no calculations? From this perspective I can clearly predict victory or defeat."
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Are they big enough for cotton pads soaked in Vaseline or wax for fire starters?
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
TheWolfXX

Post by TheWolfXX »

Decaff wrote:Are they big enough for cotton pads soaked in Vaseline or wax for fire starters?
I'm not actually sure. I don't actually use any form of fire lighter when lighting a fire but wihtout a doubt they can certainly be handy in the correct (or rather wrong) conditions.

I'm hoping the attached picture will help everybody gauge the size of these things. They look sooo handy and by god I will use them lol.
Attachments
Vaseline Lip Therapy Tin (3).png
junmist

Post by junmist »

small med kit to carry plasters and tablets in, a bit of fishing line with a couple of hooks, or how about hiding in plane sight and put a couple of £5s folded small of course and live it in the car. I'm sure I could think of more but those were off the top of my head
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle