Gas Masks

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
British Prepper 13

Gas Masks

Post by British Prepper 13 »

For a while I've had an S-10. But recently it started clicking, and I've changed filters and it is still doing it. When it does, it's when I breathe out, and it sounds clogged. It breaks the seal on my face and is making it a bit naff for a prep

Is there a way to fix this, or is there any recommendations for other good gas masks. Thanks

BP
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Gas Masks

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Is it pushing off your face as you exhale? If so pull the front plastic valve cover off where the straw wraps round and check the exhale valve for cleanliness and signs of splitting or hardening. ..

If its buggered bin it...

As for what mask . what ever fits! And what your aiming to be protected from ...

But then once you've been exposed to what ever your aiming to protect yourself from how do you intend to decontaminate yourself once in a safe area? A single asbestos fibre can be lethal ......
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Plus a rubber face welly only protects your face, eyes and respiratory system. If your up againt nasties and all sorts you'll need a noddy suit, gloves etc and nobody wants to wear those.

Pathogens, blood, blister and choke agents, nerve agents, mind altering drugs can all generally be absorbed through the skin as well.

Mild to severe riot control agents only effect the eyes, nose, mouth and throat.

Depends what your trying to protect yourself from and for how long.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
judicatr

Post by judicatr »

Captain Darling wrote:Plus a rubber face welly only protects your face, eyes and respiratory system. If your up againt nasties and all sorts you'll need a noddy suit, gloves etc and nobody wants to wear those.

Pathogens, blood, blister and choke agents, nerve agents, mind altering drugs can all generally be absorbed through the skin as well.

Mild to severe riot control agents only effect the eyes, nose, mouth and throat.

Depends what your trying to protect yourself from and for how long.
Spot on Captain and Andy... lots of folks think getting a respirator will solve their CBRN (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear) and hazardous industrial chemical protection issues. Its just not that simple. The type of hazard, donning, doffing and decontamination procedures all have to be considered.

Prepper 13, as mentioned, your respirator sounds like its got a clogged exhalation value... Basic care, cleaning, and maintenance can help with that issue. But eventually parts will wear and seals will crack, etc. :cry: Sorry.

You can get other details about respirators in general and other PPE (personal protective equipment) at this site:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/r ... pfact.html

Your American Friend
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Also filters and CBRN outfits have a limited life once unwrapped as the activated charcoal does its job passively with contaminants in the air..

Think a packet of digestive biscuits left open adsorbing moisture and going soft

Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Me, I'm keeping the designer stubble, I'm not shaving twice a day just in case I need a good seal on my chops. And besides, if anyone uses NCB stuff to such an extend that it comes out to where we are then the world really is b*ggered.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:Me, I'm keeping the designer stubble, I'm not shaving twice a day just in case I need a good seal on my chops. And besides, if anyone uses NCB stuff to such an extend that it comes out to where we are then the world really is b*ggered.
Just slap a tub of lm2 lithium grease next to your mask ;)

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

British Prepper 13 wrote:Fo

Is there a way to fix this, or is there any recommendations for other good gas masks. Thanks

BP

http://www.arco.co.uk/facefittest?utm_s ... Fit%20Test

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/167700?s=1

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/133300?s=1

http://www.screwfix.com/p/scott-safety- ... ters/81107

Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:Me, I'm keeping the designer stubble, I'm not shaving twice a day just in case I need a good seal on my chops. And besides, if anyone uses NCB stuff to such an extend that it comes out to where we are then the world really is b*ggered.
Just slap a tub of lm2 lithium grease next to your mask ;)
Hehe. Have you seen the BBC programme about Porton Down?
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Scary very scary ..
......... :cry:
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.