Hello from a newbie

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
AJericho

Hello from a newbie

Post by AJericho »

Hello everyone I just wanted to introduce myself.

My names Adam I live in Northampton and I'm glad to be here!

I'm a complete newbie to prepping, I didn't think there was much of preppers community here in the U.K but knew of it in the U.S.
Anyway I hope to learn a lot here and expand my network of like minded people, I'm quite limited in what I can do but making some quick progress.

I hope to fit in well and speak with you all soon!

Thanks
Deeps

Re: Hello from a newbie

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum mate, I hope you find what you're looking for here. The best advice I can give you is take your time and do your research, see what works for you. What are you looking at as your prepping priorities ?
tigs

Post by tigs »

Welcome to the forum
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hello Adam, welcome! Just echoing what Deeps said - there's a lot of stuff on here, absolutely UK, yes, complete with off the wall sense of humour :mrgreen:
AJericho

Post by AJericho »

Thanks everyone, my situation isnt ideal but doing what i can.
My ideas are along the lines of what some threads have advised, i'm thinking of what i need to learn and what i can do.
So far i have a small stash of food and water along with a survival book and a small wind up torch. Food, water, light and knowledge for the moment.
I live in a town centre with loads of rented houses, fields and lakes are close. Any suggestions on what i need to think about?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

AJericho wrote:Thanks everyone, my situation isnt ideal but doing what i can.
My ideas are along the lines of what some threads have advised, i'm thinking of what i need to learn and what i can do.
So far i have a small stash of food and water along with a survival book and a small wind up torch. Food, water, light and knowledge for the moment.
I live in a town centre with loads of rented houses, fields and lakes are close. Any suggestions on what i need to think about?
You need to think about what YOU are prepping for, what do you think is most likely to make you go into prepping mode. There will be a commonality to most prepping, the basics of shelter, water and food. Are you planning on staying put, what if you had to leave your house for some reason. Its all stuff you need to consider, work towards a weeks food and water (and something to cook/heat water with), if you're staying put you'll have the shelter. If you're either planning on leaving or forced to, have you got transport, have you got a rucksack or whatever to carry gear if you're on foot. A lot will depend on your budget and don't obsess about what some guys have got in their BOB/EDC or whatever on Youtube, its great for inspiration but it might not be for you or your budget, a prime example being rucksacks, you don't need some para military type bag, if its not something you're going to use often, a relatively cheap bag from Go Outdoors or wherever, but if you can get one that you can try on instead of it looking cool on the internet.

Have a think about why and what YOU are prepping for, work towards what you think you'll need, you don't have to get everything at once but work towards it. I was delighted when I got a months food in, I didn't go out and just buy it, every time we went to the shops I got extra bits and bobs, it soon adds up. Once you're at a comfortable level for YOU then if you're still bitten by the prepping bug, there will be plenty of gucci stuff to catch your eye, you just need to figure out what will work for you.
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

Welcome :D
AJericho

Post by AJericho »

Thanks again, well i think being somewhat mobile is good. I can stay put for a short while but i want to learn and get by on the go.
I think a good balance of options is the way to go.