TOPS Tom Brown Tracker knife

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
MBJ

Re: TOPS Tom Brown Tracker knife

Post by MBJ »

shocker wrote:Stick to your regular knife and look at something like the Fiskars Brush Hook - with its hollow handle theres a place for a folding saw to be packed. Short of carrying a real, regular handaxe its a good bet... At reasonable sensible money with no gimmicks...

...my opinion at least.
If I've already got a large axe and folding buck saw is there any reason to carry a brush hook?
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

The knife pictured is a Ka-bar, but not the USMC, although I do have one of those as well, (I like knives, used to be a chef, comes with the territory!) that one is the Dog's Head utility knife, same blade as the USMC, but a slightly different pommel that allows for a lanyard more easily and a different finger guard that means you can get your thumb on the back of the blade without the guard being in the way.
It's also not going to be around forever and might become collectible.

They're pretty tough but not indestructible, they have a rat tail tang and you can bend it, but only by giving it serious abuse.

If you want something that's near enough indestructible then I would recommend one of the Ka-bar Becker knives.

I would also say to look on YouTube for a channel called ReallyBigMonkey, good channel to watch anyway, but he carries a small knife and either a large knife or machete, so have a look at what he has, you'll most likely like at least one of them.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jansman

Post by jansman »

For indestructible knife try the Coldsteel Bushman. Look it up on YouTube.It has a hollow handle,but is made out of one piece of steel.I found a plastic cap to fit over the end,and put a mini kit in the handle.There is a pouch on the sheath which will take an Altoid tin ( or whatever).It holds an edge and can be beaten to within an inch of its life! Mine is ten years old and going strong.And they are only about 26 quid I think.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

jansman wrote:For indestructible knife try the Coldsteel Bushman. Look it up on YouTube.It has a hollow handle,but is made out of one piece of steel.I found a plastic cap to fit over the end,and put a mini kit in the handle.There is a pouch on the sheath which will take an Altoid tin ( or whatever).It holds an edge and can be beaten to within an inch of its life! Mine is ten years old and going strong.And they are only about 26 quid I think.
Man this was hard to track down as most places no longer stock this or are out of stock. I did manage to find one place that sells them for £35.50 which is pretty much a bargain for such a strong and quality looking knife! I really like the fact that the handle is hollow so you could make it into a spear if you really wanted to. Good call and I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

jansman

Post by jansman »

Its a different shape to mine,it has a slimmer blade.However,if you buy one you will not be scared to really use it!

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Even Coldsteel UK are out of stock! Linkie ( this is mine)http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/New-B ... eries.html

Robert Frost.

Me.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

jansman wrote:Its a different shape to mine,it has a slimmer blade.However,if you buy one you will not be scared to really use it!
It does say this is the Bowie version of the knife as the traditional one is no longer stocked. Not that I mind for that price though :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

Sorry that link doesn't seem to work. Anyhow, check out YouTube for the destruction tests!

Robert Frost.

Me.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Here's me reading this thread and thinking "Why would anyone want a huge FO knife" and then I went to that link...and promptly fell in love :twisted:
I'd prefer stainless steel to carbon steel for this though.

Here's a clickable link http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/New-B ... eries.html
Last edited by sethorly on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

jansman wrote:Sorry that link doesn't seem to work. Anyhow, check out YouTube for the destruction tests!
I've already had a look and I think I'm pretty much sold. I do want to buy it but I've already spent a lot of money this month - it is hard not to get too carried away.

Think I should be sensible and put it on the wish list for now.